leaderroy

Can't open my laptop, stripped screw...

Posted · Original PosterOP

We're talking about a really tiny screw on the back of my Alienware M11x.

Any ideas to get it out?
Preferably without destroying the laptop or the back cover...

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

If the head is stripped, find a bit that fits it and apply a lot of pressure.

If the hole is stripped, find a bit that fits and unscrew it while pulling the plastic to put pressure on it (giving it a hand to come out)

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

If the head is stripped, find a bit that fits it and apply a lot of pressure.

If the hole is stripped, find a bit that fits and unscrew it while pulling the plastic to put pressure on it (giving it a hand to come out)

There is no way I can use anything to turn the screw with, the hole is completely stripped

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

Even if I had one, I doubt I can drill a screw of that size....

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

Look up methods to remove broken bolts. Involves drilling the screw/bolt. Well I guess someone already linked that....

Hrm well try using a small flat head screwdriver of solid metal(as in a nice brand name one) so to be somewhat stronger metal than the screw. Then use a rubber mallet or some type of shock absorbing hammer, then simply mar a slit on the screw head.

Then you can try to use it to screw it off. But I'd step it up some... Such as an epoxy of sorts, the trick is to use a small somewhat firm piece of paper between the glue and screw. Then have that attached to whatever your going to use that best fits the screw you marred with a slit.

Best Idea I can come with without looking at it. Could also mar the sides of the screw if possible, then try pliers to screw it off once you marred it to not so circle like.

The thing is you need proper tools. Makeshift tools is probably why your in this boat to begin with. So take heed if your going to "ghetto" it again(to fix what is broke), if that was the case to begin with.

Do this from your own decision, for it could damage things....

Then the glue/epoxy thing, I'd do that as a last step or the drill if you find one small enough. Normally 1/8th be smallest in store, might be able to find smaller online or at a MAJOR hardware store.

trying to superglue the hole and make a new slit in it that way

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

trying to superglue the hole and make a new slit in it that way

Depends on how strong the glue is when dry, OP might need to put a good dollop of it and let it dry for a LONG time to make and see if that works. If not break out the drill and hope you have a steady hand. Drill that bit into dust.

Just take a drill bit and drill out the stripped screw 

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Depends on how strong the glue is when dry, OP might need to put a good dollop of it and let it dry for a LONG time to make and see if that works. If not break out the drill and hope you have a steady hand. Drill that bit into dust.

it's tough, sticks to anything and it doesn't come off easily.

I'll keep posting till I get it out ^^

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

No luck so far, buying a drill over the weekend....

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 

use a tiny drill bit  :D

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R
Radeon HD 7850 GTX 980TI SC
Sentry- RED
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Western Digital WD Green WD10EZRX 1TB IntelliPower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
EVGA 120-G1-1000-VR 80 PLUS GOLD

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"

Super glue most likely is not going to work. That's why I said a type of epoxy. Then use a firmer type of paper between the metals, this makes the adhesive stick better.

If you use a drill. Take note of the chuck. Then dial it down so it breaks(as in stops drilling) by your hand holding the chuck. Then try to drill the screw, if the chuck breaks then dial it up 1 number. Repeat till its good. This will save your hand from getting twisted, then will help you go slowly. Will also stop it from drilling harder stuff than what your drilling, which for a laptop probably is not much compared to that screw. I'd buy a cheapo like a ryobi or black and decker, corded versions. Unless you want a cordless. Simply cheaper for corded, then if your not going to use the drill a lot, it truly doesn't matter if its corded.

you sort of have 2 options

Option 1.

get a flat head screwdriver and with allot of force dig it into the screw head.  holding it under allot of pressure it should start to turn. once you have it out a few turns uses pliers to turn the screw out.

Option 2

drill the head of the screw.  get a 3mm drill and very slowly drill about a 2-4mm deep hole in the center.  ether the screw head will snap off, you can remove the back plate and use pliers to remove the screw, or you will have a hole you can shove a screwdriver in and turn the screw.