tman2damax11

Is there anyway to use Linksys Smart Router as a repeater?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Long story short I have a linksys ea6400 and its just getting to be pure garbage, so I plan to buy a new router and just use this one a repeater because it was $170 so I'm not going to trash it or put its burden on someone else, but ever since linksys switched to their "smart" firmware (its actually far dumber and offers half the options as the old firmware) there's no option to make the router a repeater, no even a bridge either which used to be supported on their old routers. So is there anyway to make this router a repeater, because dd-wrt is not supported and I don't want this $170 brick to go to waste. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

install ddwrt.

Did you read his post, or bother to check yourself? The EA6400 is not supported by DD-WRT. It's also not supported by Open WRT, or Tomato.

After some research, you're s.o.l.. I know of no other custom firmwares too look into that could possibly have support for the router. Additionally, there is no way of using it as a WiFi repeater. What you can try, and this doesn't always work, is configure the new router as normal, then configure the old router. However, on router 2, you'll want to disable DHCP on router 2, and manually assign it's IP to your 1st router + 1. From their, set router 2's WiFi settings (encryption, SSID, and passkey) to the exact same as Router 1. Plug an Ethernet cable from an open port on the first (new) router, into Port 1 on the old router, and you should be able to get an extended connection that way. Router 1 will be responsible for the WAN connection, and DHCP, so most troubleshooting should target it.

(Should be pointed out that home routers are really just incredibly shitty Layer 3 switches with a built in WiFi AP)

Edited by SlayerOfHellWyrm

[spoiler=My Laptop]Model: MSI GE60-2OE  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 765M  2GB | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) G.SKILL DDR3L @ 1600MHz | Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo mSATA + 2TB  Samsung Spinpoint M9 ]

Phone: Galaxy S3™, Black, non-rooted, Koodo Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 (N7000) Other: Google Chromecast, Samsung 32" SMART LED TV

Use the quote button, or @username to reply to people ▐  Make sure to follow your TShoot topics to see replies   Mark solved TShoot topics as such!▐

Did you read his post, or bother to check yourself? The EA6400 is not supported by DD-WRT. It's also not supported by Open WRT, or Tomato.

After some research, you're s.o.l.. I know of no other custom firmwares too look into that could possibly have support for the router. Additionally, there is no way of using it as a WiFi repeater. What you can try, and this doesn't always work, is configure the new router as normal, then configure the old router. However, on router 2, you'll want to disable DHCP on router 2, and manually assign it's IP to your 1st router + 1. From their, set router 2's WiFi settings (encryption, SSID, and passkey) to the exact same as Router 1. Plug an Ethernet cable from an open port on the first (new) router, into Port 1 on the old router, and you should be able to get an extended connection that way. Router 1 will be responsible for the WAN connection, and DHCP, so most troubleshooting should target it.

(Should be pointed out that home routers are really just incredibly shitty Layer 3 switches with a built in WiFi AP)

I didn't seen that part, sorry it's hard to read without proper sleep

sennheisermasterrace

Long story short I have a linksys ea6400 and its just getting to be pure garbage, so I plan to buy a new router and just use this one a repeater because it was $170 so I'm not going to trash it or put its burden on someone else, but ever since linksys switched to their "smart" firmware (its actually far dumber and offers half the options as the old firmware) there's no option to make the router a repeater, no even a bridge either which used to be supported on their old routers. So is there anyway to make this router a repeater, because dd-wrt is not supported and I don't want this $170 brick to go to waste. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It is possible to setup the router as bridge mode using the "smart" firmware and have it as a secondary wifi access point but you cannot setup the device as a repeater to my knowledge. 

In the linksys firmware there under connectivity there is a tab for internet settings, below should be a label for type of internet connection, there should be a drop down menu and there should be a bridge mode option. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

It is possible to setup the router as bridge mode using the "smart" firmware and have it as a secondary wifi access point but you cannot setup the device as a repeater to my knowledge. 

In the linksys firmware there under connectivity there is a tab for internet settings, below should be a label for type of internet connection, there should be a drop down menu and there should be a bridge mode option. 

Thanks, I would have never checked there, I guess bridge mode is better than nothing.

Thanks, I would have never checked there, I guess bridge mode is better than nothing.

Yeah they hide it really well, took me a long time when I was trying to setup bridge mode, and well it gives a secondary access point but the only problem is you just need to manually select it at times.

On 24/08/2014 at 4:20 PM, W-L said:

Just for the record in your 4 lines of text I found bridge mode after a week of looking (this is searching forums too!) People were just mentioning custom firmware etc.... hahaha I ended up flashing the firmware back to the older one just to get bridge mode... Life Saver cause I do like the simplicity of the newer layout