Gachr

Windows 10 Insider Topic

Posted · Original PosterOP

Same as cmd, and command. Same program, different launch location. Clipboard works for me just fine within 10 and from host to VM and vice versa. Charms bar is still there normally, just can't mouse into it, have to use Win + C.

Source: On my W10 VM. Using 64 bit though, with 4GB of RAM allocated, and using VMWare Workstation

Thanks man, I'll use it!

I was advised in another thread to not do it not til its RTM I was thinking of putting it on my 2 in 1 though as a secondary OS. Are there any guides to running 2 OSs on here? I've never done it before.

There are a lot of guides on the internet :)

You're crazy :P

I was considering it as well, but I don't know about stability and licensing - will Microsoft take down my system when W10 gets released?

They most definitely will, at least that's what they did with Windows 8 (I believe you had 30 days to buy it or something like that).

They most definitely will, at least that's what they did with Windows 8 (I believe you had 30 days to buy it or something like that).

I want to buy it anyway, I just dunno if I'll need to format it again.

it's basically a 8.1 service pack, anything that works with 8.1 still works 

This. Everything I have tried so far works, but there is no reason to switch. I can handle some bugs, but only if I get something out of it. So far I have noticed nothing different other then the start menu, which I never cared about anyways. I love being on the bleeding edge and I embrace change, but where is it. I haven't figured out yet why this isn't just Windows 8.2.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

This. Everything I have tried so far works, but there is no reason to switch. I can handle some bugs, but only if I get something out of it. So far I have noticed nothing different other then the start menu, which I never cared about anyways. I love being on the bleeding edge and I embrace change, but where is it. I haven't figured out yet why this isn't just Windows 8.2.

• New flat design icons
  • 3, and 4 way window snap
  • Metro apps run in windows by defualt
  • Charms bar only accessible via Win + C
  • different file tree on C:\ by default
  • PC Settings, got shifted like a mofo
  • Ctrl + C, ctrl + v work in command prompt now
  • multiple work areas/desktops

just to name a few things that are new or changed....

[spoiler=My Laptop]Model: MSI GE60-2OE  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 765M  2GB | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) G.SKILL DDR3L @ 1600MHz | Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo mSATA + 2TB  Samsung Spinpoint M9 ]

Phone: Galaxy S3™, Black, non-rooted, Koodo Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 (N7000) Other: Google Chromecast, Samsung 32" SMART LED TV

Use the quote button, or @username to reply to people ▐  Make sure to follow your TShoot topics to see replies   Mark solved TShoot topics as such!▐

The link said it would be up shortly and I forgot all about this till I heard my coworker talking about it. Downloading now as we speak.

Does anyone have recommendations for free imaging software for my PC? 

When you do the install does it work like a standard Windows upgrade? 

If so I might not bother imaging my PC because I know I'll buy this when it comes out anyways.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

The link said it would be up shortly and I forgot all about this till I heard my coworker talking about it. Downloading now as we speak.

Does anyone have recommendations for free imaging software for my PC? 

When you do the install does it work like a standard Windows upgrade? 

If so I might not bother imaging my PC because I know I'll buy this when it comes out anyways.

It runs like a normal OS install, aka, you can upgrade from 8, or, clean install. I'd recommend the latter though

[spoiler=My Laptop]Model: MSI GE60-2OE  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 765M  2GB | RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) G.SKILL DDR3L @ 1600MHz | Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo mSATA + 2TB  Samsung Spinpoint M9 ]

Phone: Galaxy S3™, Black, non-rooted, Koodo Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 (N7000) Other: Google Chromecast, Samsung 32" SMART LED TV

Use the quote button, or @username to reply to people ▐  Make sure to follow your TShoot topics to see replies   Mark solved TShoot topics as such!▐

It runs like a normal OS install, aka, you can upgrade from 8, or, clean install. I'd recommend the latter though

I'm still running 7. I'm sure I'd be ok upgrading from that right?

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

I'm still running 7. I'm sure I'd be ok upgrading from that right?

I haven't tried to see if you can upgrade from 7 to it, but if you want, I can try it on one of the W7 VM's I have for school. Can always revert the snapshot.

I haven't tried to see if you can upgrade from 7 to it, but if you want, I can try it on one of the W7 VM's I have for school. Can always revert the snapshot.

If you could try that for me that would be awesome as I'm still at work right now  :D

If you could try that for me that would be awesome  :D

On it. Will report back later.

Reporting back.

It allowed me to run everything just fine, so you can indeed do it. Mind you, some folders were lost, ones that aren't in 8/8.1 or they were moved, so keep that in mind (only pre-created folders, user created were fine). Aside from that, it worked flawlessly, though it took a really long time. I'd still recommend doing it in a VM if you can though, just so you don't have to worry.

I have already installed the preview on a new partition on my hard drive.
Someone told me that could, in the worst case, not only destroy Windows 10 but also the data on the other partition on the hard drive (which I would like to keep).
Is that true? What should I do to prevent data loss? Am I stupid?

i downloaded the 64 bit iso in about 5 minutes.

I trew it in VM and played arround with it for a while.

But to be honnest, i just can´t be happy with it realy.

finally got it running on a vm, been tinkering whit it and using win + c to open charms menu crash it, also its laggy is fuck but i blame the vm on that one, will try later on a spare pc

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude /main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

finally got it running on a vm, been tinkering whit it and using win + c to open charms menu crash it, also its laggy is fuck but i blame the vm on that one, will try later on a spare pc

Could be your VM settings, or, the host machine. Mine's running just fine, with no real crashes yet (one that I forced to see if they retained the W8 bluescreen look)

Could be your VM settings, or, the host machine. Mine's running just fine, with no real crashes yet (one that I forced to see if they retained the W8 bluescreen look)

Yah I recommend putting it on a full system honestly. What I did. Loving it so far.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For those who want Guest Additions installed, I found a fix: If you get The VirtualBox Guest Additions cannot be installed on this version of Windows.http://fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/10/install-windows-10-in-virtualbox/

VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd-x64 /extract /D=C:\Drivers

fixedbyvonnie-windows-10-installing-vbox

We’re basically manually extracting the VirtualBox drivers to a folder on the VM.

Now, in the VM, open the Device Manager, double click the Display Adapters section and update the driver to use the files we just extracted to C:\Drivers.

Update: Getting Windows Cannot Initilize the device driver for this hardware (error 37) Used the VBoxVideo drivers but haven't tried installing the Windows 8 graphic drivers (VBoxVideoW8 I think) as it keeps erroring out saying that the driver doesn't support this OS and the other driver is vista (VBoxVideoWV) and it didn't work (error 37)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

For those who want Guest Additions installed, I found a fix: If you get The VirtualBox Guest Additions cannot be installed on this version of Windows.http://fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/10/install-windows-10-in-virtualbox/

Update: Getting Windows Cannot Initilize the device driver for this hardware (error 37) Used the VBoxVideo drivers but haven't tried installing the Windows 8 graphic drivers (VBoxVideoW8 I think) as it keeps erroring out saying that the driver doesn't support this OS and the other driver is vista (VBoxVideoWV) and it didn't work (error 37)

force it for 8.1 mode? Idk I haven't tried it in a VM yet. But all of my 8 drivers have works so far for the most part. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Could somebody give me the direct link to the x64 version please?

Can you imagine my luck....

I decide to update VirtualBox to the latest version (4.3.12?) to run Win 10, its installation completely fucks up my PC, forcing me to "refresh" my Windows 8.1 installation. Fortunately, I only lost my programs, not documents, thank god.

I hope I'll be able to report back in the evening with some good news.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Thanks!

Can you imagine my luck....

I decide to update VirtualBox to the latest version (4.3.12?) to run Win 10, its installation completely fucks up my PC, forcing me to "refresh" my Windows 8.1 installation. Fortunately, I only lost my programs, not documents, thank god.

I hope I'll be able to report back in the evening with some good news.

Oh, that sucks man ;/ I hope everything is going to be fine ;)

I got it up and running on this old laptop I've been using since I moved. 1.5 GB of ram, and an OLD as hell 32 bit processor(Duel core Core duo T2060) and I'm happy to report it run WAY better then windows 8.1, I mean by a country mile Before if I had 5-6 tabs open it would start lagging out, and pinning the HDD, right now 25 tabs open and still have a good 200 MB of ram left. and its not just freezing when I switch tabs. Man I missed being able to open more then a few things at once xD