TopWargamer

Will a 3.5mm to 2.5mm mic jack work on Xbox?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I want to use my own mic on my Xbox, but regular PC mics are 3.5mm. Would a 3.5mm to 2.5mm mic jack work on the Xbox 360 controller so I can chat using my own mic?

If not, is there even a way too?

Still just happy that flaming pink comic sans wasn't nuked in the forum update. Now. We. Shall. ENLARGE THE FLAMING PINK COMIC SANS!

Yes but unless it is a switch mic you have to hold the button to talk...

I bought an adapter for <$1 a few years ago and did something similar with and old pc headset.

I think they make some now with a switch built into the adapter... Just check ebay  :D

I don't own a XBox, but a XBox Controller. There is a rectangular hole either side of the 2.5mm. If those have any functionality you could still buy a defective XBox Headset of eBay and mod the plug into an adapter. Could be the XBox Headset has unusular impedence or something, but I doubt that.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Yes but unless it is a switch mic you have to hold the button to talk...

I bought an adapter for <$1 a few years ago and did something similar with and old pc headset.

I think they make some now with a switch built into the adapter... Just check ebay  :D

Could you provide links?

Still just happy that flaming pink comic sans wasn't nuked in the forum update. Now. We. Shall. ENLARGE THE FLAMING PINK COMIC SANS!

I don't own a XBox, but a XBox Controller. There is a rectangular hole either side of the 2.5mm. If those have any functionality you could still buy a defective XBox Headset of eBay and mod the plug into an adapter. Could be the XBox Headset has unusular impedence or something, but I doubt that.

The bar shaped plugs on the side are there to support the chatpad attachment.

No need to worry about them  :)

Edit:

I can't seem to find the exact product I am thinking of but, its like this with a switch:

http://ebay.com/itm/White-3-5mm-Jack-Headset-Converter-Adapter-For-Xbox-360-Headphone-Adapter-US-/270994802499?pt=US_Video_Game_Headsets&hash=item3f188c8743

This is what I had:

http://ebay.com/itm/USA-2-5mm-Stereo-Plug-Male-to-3-5mm-Stereo-Headset-Jack-Female-Adapter-Converter-/271241285131?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f273d8e0b

Worked well but I did eventually end up making an inline switch to avoid the always on/off problem

I will keep looking for the one I am thinking of...

No it will not work since its stereo and the jack on xbox controller is mono both for audio and mic. You can how ever get an adapter from steel series that will allow you to use any pc headset with a xbox. Now if you just want to use a desktop mic or something of that sort thats another thing entirely. I some what doubt that the controller has enough power though that port to work properly with something like that but if you wanted to try youd need a series of adapters to get it to work.

No it will not work since its stereo and the jack on xbox controller is mono both for audio and mic. You can how ever get an adapter from steel series that will allow you to use any pc headset with a xbox. Now if you just want to use a desktop mic or something of that sort thats another thing entirely. I some what doubt that the controller has enough power though that port to work properly with something like that but if you wanted to try youd need a series of adapters to get it to work.

I'm looking for the cheap chinese knockoff of the steelseries adapter... have you seen it anywhere? I haven't looked in ages  <_<

The bar shaped plugs on the side are there to support the chatpad attachment.

No need to worry about them  :)

They are supports on the really old headsets that shipped with the original 1st gen consoles. The tabs on the right and left of the plug are actually data connections and are used as such on the chat pad and the audio jack on the chat pad is just a pass though.

They are supports on the really old headsets that shipped with the original 1st gen consoles. The tabs on the right and left of the plug are actually data connections and are used as such on the chat pad and the audio jack on the chat pad is just a pass though.

I didn't know they used to use the other pins... I didn't come onto the 360 scene until about 2007

I have 4 consoles and countless other parts sitting in a drawer that I use for parts when I/friends are in need of them...

Know my way around the old phat 360 quite well but, not so much the controller...

I've replaced joysticks/triggers and added mod chips but not much more...

FWIW, I just bought a wireless mic for the 360 and don't worry about any cords anymore  :)

Yea thats the second gen one I actually thought i had two of the first gens around here somewhere from back when I played Battlefield Bad Company on my 360 hooked up to my monitor. One of them was even modified so that I could use the 360 and PC though a KVM and have the headset switch between them also. Man that was a while back. I think I was using a SteelSeries 5Hv2 back then but I stole the 360 adapter from a Siberia Neckband I had but didnt prefer due to the glass I wear. The downside of the first gen was that you couldnt adjust any volumes when the adapter was going straight to the Xbox, and even when you went though a receiver or something like that you could still only fully adjust the game volume and could only lower the chat, so if it wasn't loud enough you were SOL

On another note the pics in that listing are straight off SteelSeries own website with that ebay sellers watermark plastered on them, so @laxer that seems to be the cheap chinese knock off your looking for.

On another note the pics in that listing are straight off SteelSeries own website with that ebay sellers watermark plastered on them, so @laxer that seems to be the cheap chinese knock off your looking for.

Very possible  :P