Heizu

Microsoft wired controllers not working in windows 10?

aha i did not, but now i did and still nada

try a different usb port?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello All

So i recently went to play a game with a wired (gamestop version) 360 controller 

The controller worked perfectly in windows 8 but it only worked for like 5 minutes 

in windows 10 then the green light around the middle xbox logo went dark and

controller became unresponsive. I thought it was just the controller dying so i 

went and bought another one. This time an afterglow version, it too however has

no green light around xbox logo and is unresponsive.

Anyone know how to fix this? Are there new drivers for these?

Thanks

Hello All

So i recently went to play a game with a wired (gamestop version) 360 controller 

The controller worked perfectly in windows 8 but it only worked for like 5 minutes 

in windows 10 then the green light around the middle xbox logo went dark and

controller became unresponsive. I thought it was just the controller dying so i 

went and bought another one. This time an afterglow version, it too however has

no green light around xbox logo and is unresponsive.

Anyone know how to fix this? Are there new drivers for these?

Thanks

im using a afterglow wired 360 controller on win 10 pro and it works fine, ignore the green light on the controller same thing happens to me and it still works, have you tried going into device manager and uninstalling the driver (also tick the box that says delete driver software) then reconnect your controller and wait for it to install the driver and try again.

see if that helps

also is it not working in only one game or all games

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Reinstall the drivers.

"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

I find it quite ironic that the original microsoft xbox controllers which use USB do not work with microsoft windows, yet they work on my android tablet perfectly fine

im using a afterglow wired 360 controller on win 10 pro and it works fine, ignore the green light on the controller same thing happens to me and it still works, have you tried going into device manager and uninstalling the driver (also tick the box that says delete driver software) then reconnect your controller and wait for it to install the driver and try again.

see if that helps

also is it not working in only one game or all games

Do you know where in device manager the drivers are located? Cant seem to find. Doesnt work for all games

Do you know where in device manager the drivers are located? Cant seem to find. Doesnt work for all games

go

start

settings

devices

in the printers and scanners section scroll down untill you see device manager

it should be in sound,video and game controllers

edit: just relised there is a xbox 360 section at the bottom of device manager thats the one you want :D

post-28770-0-15823900-1440269753_thumb.j

post-28770-0-15823900-1440269753_thumb.j

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

My standard xbox 360 controller works fine, didn't even have to install the drivers, it was just plug&play. have you tried removing any previous drivers for it?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Horses are love, Horses are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

go

start

settings

devices

in the printers and scanners section scroll down untill you see device manager

it should be in sound,video and game controllers

edit: just relised there is a xbox 360 section at the bottom of device manager thats the one you want :D

Yep a driver is not present in device manager for it in sound,video etc. And there is no 360 section for me.

Could windows be blocking automatic driver installs?

My standard xbox 360 controller works fine, didn't even have to install the drivers, it was just plug&play. have you tried removing any previous drivers for it?

drivers are not present at all. usually controller is supposed to install them just by plugging it in at least to my knowledge

Yep a driver is not present in device manager for it in sound,video etc. And there is no 360 section for me.

Could windows be blocking automatic driver installs?

does device manager have a "other devices" section

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

drivers are not present at all. usually controller is supposed to install them just by plugging it in at least to my knowledge

Yeah, when I used it on win7/8 windows update would just grab the drivers but it work pretty much as soon as i plugged it in. on win10 I don't see any drivers for the controller in the update history so i'm assuming it's natively supported in win10.  Did you upgrade to win10 or do a clean install?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Horses are love, Horses are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yeah, when I used it on win7/8 windows update would just grab the drivers but it work pretty much as soon as i plugged it in. on win10 I don't see any drivers for the controller in the update history so i'm assuming it's natively supported in win10.  Did you upgrade to win10 or do a clean install?

Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade

Have you tried manually install the drivers? Use the win7 version https://microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

Just installed those drivers and still no go. Got the xbox 360 section now tho

Did you restart?

Posted · Best Answer

aha i did not, but now i did and still nada

actually i lied, guess i only tried my usb 3 ports unplugged some cables for usb 2.0 and it works. Are my usb 3.0 having problems then???

actually i lied, guess i only tried my usb 3 ports unplugged some cables for usb 2.0 and it works. Are my usb 3.0 having problems then???

I have mine plugged into the front IO 3.0 port and it works just fine.. at least it's working now c:

sound like you will need to download the usb 3.0 drivers for windows 10 from your mobo site :D

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I have mine plugged into the front IO 3.0 port and it works just fine.. at least it's working now c:

Hmm yea its strange all my other devices work in 3.0 ports but just not controller kind of a hassle reaching behind to get controller working tho :/

sound like you will need to download the usb 3.0 drivers for windows 10 from your mobo site :D

Dude it seems my mobo site is terrible i have a zotac h67 itx and like the drivers they have posted stop at windows 8. doesnt even go to 8.1 support

edit: my mistake 8.1 is there just no windows 10

Hmm yea its strange all my other devices work in 3.0 ports but just not controller kind of a hassle reaching behind to get controller working tho :/

you could get a USB extension or USB hub, they're both fairly cheap.