Exploded117

[SOLVED] Xbox 360 Controller via Play and Charge Kit

They don't work.  You need a specific dongle for it to work.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0096PLB9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an Xbox 360 with a few controllers that I would like to be able to use on my PC. So, while at a used game store the other day, I picked up a play and charge kit. I have heard from many people that they use these to connect their Xbox 360 controllers to their PC, but for me nothing has worked. I have tried many different things to get this controller working, but to no avail.

I was wondering if any of you have done this and have any tips for getting it running. I am running Windows 10 with the latest anniversary update (I also have a boot of linux, if it works on there). And thanks in advance!

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Posted · Best Answer

They don't work.  You need a specific dongle for it to work.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0096PLB9O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Main Rig: See profile

Laptop:

Lenovo Y50-70 - i7-4720HQ, 1TB SSHD, 8GBs of RAM, and GTX 960m.

Current Phone:

Pegasus/Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930U

Gaming Stuffs:

Sony-PS3, PS4 Pro Starwars Limited Edition, Vita OLED Wifi, and a PSTV.

MS-Xbox Original

Nintendo-NES, YOBO NES, SNES Mini, N64, and a Switch.

SEGA-Game Gear+SEGA CDX

SNK/Playmore-NGPC

Randoms-Rare Space Invaders Keychain+1970s Pachinko.

Mini PC:

Gir/RPi 3 Model B

Android Devices:

HD8

18 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

snip

18 hours ago, Bobbysonators said:

snip

9 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

snip

Thanks, I thought it could be done with the play and charge kit, so I just picked one up to test it. Guess that was just more internet false information. I'll probably return it and buy the wireless receiver.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

With the Xbox One controllers you can get away with just using the plan and charge kit as a wired solution.

I bought both the play and charge kit and the wireless dongle (Xbox One controller).  For the life of me I could not get the wireless dongle to work properly.  Every time the controller turned off the computer locked up.  I've since admitted defeat and just used the cable.  The cable is just a USB A to Micro USB cable.

32 minutes ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

With the Xbox One controllers you can get away with just using the plan and charge kit as a wired solution.

I bought both the play and charge kit and the wireless dongle (Xbox One controller).  For the life of me I could not get the wireless dongle to work properly.  Every time the controller turned off the computer locked up.  I've since admitted defeat and just used the cable.  The cable is just a USB A to Micro USB cable.

Do you mean that you can just plug in the Xbox One controller straight to the PC via USB? Do you need to install any software for it? I love the Xbox controllers in general and I am thinking about maybe just going all out and getting the Xbox One Elite Controller and connecting it to my PC to game.

13 hours ago, TallCarrot said:

Do you mean that you can just plug in the Xbox One controller straight to the PC via USB? Do you need to install any software for it? I love the Xbox controllers in general and I am thinking about maybe just going all out and getting the Xbox One Elite Controller and connecting it to my PC to game.

Yeah, Microsoft has made Xbox one controllers work pretty much flawlessly with Windows 10. Xbox 360 controllers is where the pain is at.

-Ron White

On 12/09/2016 at 5:02 PM, TallCarrot said:

Yes, the drivers are included with Windows 8+, and the xbone controllers just have normal micro USB inputs instead of the proprietary 360 port.