bruny06

Cheap Power Supplies

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey, guys, I tend to use Aria PC a lot to check prices as they are pretty cheap here in the UK, and recently, I saw these 80+ Bronze PSU's going for as little as £23 for a 500W unit, and that's including VAT (see here), and today, I went back on Aria PC to find a power supply for a new build for a Christmas present and saw this ultra-cheap 600W 80+ Bronze Modular Power Supply from Game Max going for £43,99! Now, I know efficiency doesn't mean higher quality and I should stay away from these PSU's, but is there any reason, only recently, 80+ Bronze Power Supplies started appearing out of nowhere at stupidly low prices?

Thanks, Bruno.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: Super Flower Leadex 750W 80 Plus Gold MOTHERBOARD: MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM CPU: RYZEN 5 1600 @ Stock speed RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Quad-Channel GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB STORAGE: 500GB Toshiba HDD; Samsung 840 250GB SSD COOLING: Wraith Spire, 2x Phanteks 120mm case fan, 3x Cooler Master Silencio FP120 PWM case fans

5 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Hey, guys, I tend to use Aria PC a lot to check prices as they are pretty cheap here in the UK, and recently, I saw these 80+ Bronze PSU's going for as little as £23 for a 500W unit, and that's including VAT (see here), and today, I went back on Aria PC to find a power supply for a new build for a Christmas present and saw this ultra-cheap 600W 80+ Bronze Modular Power Supply from Game Max going for £43,99! Now, I know efficiency doesn't mean higher quality and I should stay away from these PSU's, but is there any reason, only recently, 80+ Bronze Power Supplies started appearing out of nowhere at stupidly low prices?

Thanks, Bruno.

Hi Bruno

I Guess that 80+ bronze just gets cheaper because they get less popular, i mean even 80+ gold psu's are available at good prices so many people, that actually don't really know that 80+ gold isn't even that much better in terms of efficiency, prefer higher efficiency psu's. 

So i guess the sellers just lower the prices so people will buy them.

And there are waaay to meany people saying things like "never cheap out on a psu" or "you will easily get the money back in less electricity costs when you buy a more efficient psu" and i guess thats one of the reasons why the request of 80+ bronze psu's went back.

It could also be local-market related... even little things like if there was a new cheaper transport system for getting the psu's could cause the prize to drop... or if other pc parts get more expensive like ram and ssds then the general pc request will lower thus making every component cheaper.....

hope this helps you, have a nice day.

If there's demand there will be supply. Besides, even bad products do improve in performance over time, so these brands changed from producing 80+ or not even certified units to making 80+ Bronze ones. Of course there still arent any guarantees on quality.

CPU: i7-2600K 3.4GHz @1.1V (or 4.3GHz @1.3V) Benchmark 4.4GHz @1.37V  Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with single JetFlo 120 White LED fan RAM: Kingston 8GB 1600MHz 11-11-11-28 (2133MHz @1.5V 11-12-12-30 possible) (seriously I thought Kingston bin their memory dies?) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB Dual (White) Maximum 2088MHz @1.042V (hitting 112% power limit), Usually 1835MHz @0.925V HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 500GB, Toshiba 1TB 7.2k RPM  SSD: Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Monitor: LG 22MP55 22" 1080p 60Hz Keyboard: SteelSeries Apex M260 with Kailh Blue switches

Dumped parts:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz, i5-4460 3.2GHz <--- For i7 master race

Motherboard: MSI G41M-P33 Combo, Asus H81M-PLUS

RAM: Xander 4GB DDR3 1333MHz, Kingston 4GB 1600MHz x2

Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 275 896MB, Gigabyte RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming

PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W rs-500-pcar-a3  <--- how did these old parts survive with this crap

Storage: WD AV 7200RPM 320GB

Dimensions in millimeters

Wraith Stealth: 102 * 114.5 * 53.4

Wraith Spire: 109 * 103 * ~70

Warith Max: 105 * 108 * 85

I would stay away from those brands its one of those cheap gaming gimmicky chinese psu like segotep with their dirt cheap 80+platinum psu.

And 43euro is not cheap u can get Corsair CX/M unit with those budget or add a lil bit more those are decent psu with all safety cert and great performance especially for the price and its 80+ BRONZE.

https://amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020101-UK-CX450M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFOHS

BEFORE YOU BUY A GAMING MICE (Technical terms,Optical vs laser,Popular mice sensor,Mice suggestion,etc)

Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love Dark Souls lore,Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/ [LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

|Etna's EDM List|

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you held the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

I mostly stay away from OFF TOPIC Section.

4 hours ago, bruny06 said:

Thanks, Bruno.

Shitty 80 PLUS Bronze units are not new from major manufacturers such as Corsair and EVGA. The VS has been around for years as has the design used in the EVGA 500B.

|PSU Tier ListPSU Whitelist / 80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

System: "External links are not allowed" || Resources for PSU information: "lol can't do that either" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Blake

10 hours ago, bruny06 said:

Thanks, Bruno.

If something seems to good to be true than because it is.

For PSU everybody has to use the same components if they want to do a decent unit. There is no other way for that!
So that means if something is way cheaper than others that means that the quality has to be worse (wich doesn't mean that more expensive units are better, that's not always the case) but there is a price point you have to have to make a somewhat OK PSU.

And for  ~35€, you are stuck with decent quality 300 or 350W or not so decent 400-500W ones.

There is nothing nobody can do about this because you need certain components and you can't avoid it.

The other thing:
A bad quality PSU can/will cause you trouble.

Some slight annoyances like random reboots or lockups if you are lucky or stuff like kill the PC or even you because their build quality and component choice is so bad that it might hurt you...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, MineSwiss said:

Hi Bruno

I Guess that 80+ bronze just gets cheaper because they get less popular, i mean even 80+ gold psu's are available at good prices

You got it backwards.

If something is popular -> prices drop.

If something isn't popular -> price increases.

the reason for that is the cost for developing/making the product. And the components needed for it. If you know it will sell, you can order a couple of 100k parts wich usually gives you a good rebate, you can choose between many different suppliers and so on. 

And that's why 80plus gold got cheaper -> more popular, more components, more widely available. 

You sell it cheaply if you have/want to get rid of something. 

But that is usually old stock you must not buy for PSU!

On 12.12.2017 at 11:11 PM, Stefan Payne said:

You got it backwards.

the reason for that is the cost for developing/making the product. And the components needed for it. If you know it will sell, you can order a couple of 100k parts wich usually gives you a good rebate, you can choose between many different suppliers and so on. 

And that's why 80plus gold got cheaper -> more popular, more components, more widely available. 

You sell it cheaply if you have/want to get rid of something. 

But that is usually old stock you must not buy for PSU!

meh i cant really agree on that since the seller doesn't care for how many bucks he bought something... he only cares for how many he can sell it.... if you can sell millions of psu's and thus you can get new parts cheaper you wont care about the lower buy prize since people buy your stuff no matter that it is expensive.... so you just keep selling at the same prize. but if you actually cant sell enough then you really have to get the prize down so the stuff gets sold....

conclusion:

you could sell products cheaper when they get popular since its cheaper for you now to buy stuff bu why do that when your product is popular, you could even higher the prize and when people still need the product you can stay at the higher prize... and if something gets unpopular your parts prize increases and thus you should higher the prize, problem: the demand for a product drops when it gets more expensive.

in a non-profit company, your idea would work but in a company that wants food on the table, your theory wouldn't work to good....

On 12/12/2017 at 5:11 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Popularity isnt the deterring factor on price. There's a third component in that equation you're leaving out; supply (badum tiss)

High Supply but Low Demand -> Lowered Prices (Sales, price cuts)

Low Supply but High Demand -> Higher prices (new cpu's, DDR4 ram)

When supply and demand are both balanced (high or low), it creates "Equilibrium" and the price stays until supply or demand shifts. 

https://investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp

--- Please use quotes or tag people in replies, otherwise we wont respond in a timely manner ---  BLUE BUILD POST ---

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte z97x-ud5h    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX970 FTW    Case Thermaltake Level 10 GT    

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX600M      Cooling Corsair H90 140mm (Rear Mounted)

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Popularity isnt the deterring factor on price. There's a third component in that equation you're leaving out; supply (badum tiss)

High Supply but Low Demand -> Lowered Prices (Sales, price cuts)

Low Supply but High Demand -> Higher prices (new cpu's, DDR4 ram)

When supply and demand are both balanced (high or low), it creates "Equilibrium" and the price stays until supply or demand shifts. 

https://investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp

Could be that he referred to the size of the market. In which case, a smaller, niche market would require a higher price, for the manufacturer to turn a profit. And vice versa for a larger market. 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + ML120 + NF-F12

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710

Logitech G502/G303

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of me. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It is.
Look at the prices of PC Hardware in the 80s and 90s and look at them now.

In those olden days, you had to pay very high prices for real crap. I think I paid something like 450 Deutsche Mark for a Matrox G400 or 450 Deutsche Mark for a simple Board with a Pentium 90 CPU.

Things were stupidly expensive in those days - because of high development costs, small market and high manufacturing costs because of all of that...

And that's the point. 

If we are talking about nice applications - like computers were at the time, the prices will be high...

Its what we call a "Teufelskreis" in German....

If you have a small market, nobody is interested in it, there are no "jelly bean components" for that application and the parts you need are stupidly expensive. Because nobody manufactures them, no competition, no preassure on the price. If you need a 10% better component, you can pay double for that.

80plus gold is such an example. Or LLC-Resonant mode converter topology. In the last couple of years (AFAIR around 5) it went from almost none to most on the market (in terms of models of a manufacturer, not in sales).

You need the controllers for that.

You need the MOSFETs for that (MOSFETs in PSU are a relatively new thing!! Older PSU from 10 years ago mostly didn't have any MOSFET in it!)

And you need manufacturers to make the parts for you.

Its not only Supply and Demand, its way more complicated...