• Announcements

• alpenwasser

Please Use CODE Tags 31 Jan 2016

Welcome to the Programming and Software Design Section,

When asking for help with programming issues, please use the code tags to enclose your code, it makes things much more easily readable for the people trying to help you, thus improving your chances of actually getting help.
        To add code tags, click the <> button on the editor toolbar, then enter your code in the code editor that appears. If you are on a mobile device, or prefer to use BBCode, you can use [code] // Your code here // It will be syntax highlighted, though not necessarily corectly. [/code] (but the code editor is more consistent and less buggy).
cluelessgenius

Raspberry Pi 3 Problems

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok i see your point and maybe your right but wehter or not i should expand my horizon wasnt the question. if im asking how to do something in c# the solution cant be "do it in python".

It can be...

It cost you nothing to ask a question on this forum and none of the answers are paid for. If you don't like an attempt at an answer, don't make the person waste more time on you by telling them that their answer is wrong, which will only make them defend it.

The answers here that recommend you try something besides C# are inherently saying that using C# is either impossible or impractical in this case, and are far less rude than saying "It's impossible." Without explanation.

Btw, the only reason I'm writing this is to save everyone else here, who have given an answer you didn't like, the energy.

Posted · Original PosterOP

sooo....heres the deal

i want to write some visually demanding software for the pi in C#. thats it basically. BUT windows iot doesnt support hardware acceleration so thats no good (have tested and it runs like crap) and the only other thing i can think is monogame which would mean id have to draw EVERYTHING myself and im not even sure itll perform any better.

question is does someone know of a solution where i could write in c# run it on the pi and lets say a 1080p video will play without looking like the pi is about to literally crap itself trying to render frame by frame

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX770 TF 2GB  SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Custom IN WIN 901

Just now, LeBigMac506 said:

Why C#?

There's a right tool for every task, and C# simply isn't the one for visually demanding software.

I'm inclined to recommend OpenGL (ES).

the thing is im basically a one trick dog and c# is it. i have never touched c++,opengl/python/.... and if at all possible would like to keep it that way and stick to what i know. also UWP does work for what i want to do. so its not that demanding but apparently more than software redering can handle

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX770 TF 2GB  SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Custom IN WIN 901

7 minutes ago, Nutler said:

Can you elaborate a little on what you would be drawing?

Graphs and system data visualized somehow really nothing fancy but i want to animate it in a fancy and smooth way add some particle effects here and there and what have you - fading in and out, rotating and scaling objects depeding on system events and whatever i can think of. the pi literally has to do nothing else besides displaying system data fancyly and i already thought of getting a board where windows iot support hardware acceleration but if you can find any around they start at 150 and im not paying that much

I see. I will go ahead and recommend using just basic HTML+JS and some graphing library in that case. I don't see a way that would be more lightweight or quicker than that. Fades, rotations and particles are all doable as well.

The only other reasonable way would be to use C, C++ or Python with some rendering library (or just raw OpenGL).

C# is pretty much out of the question, at least as far as I know.

4 minutes ago, Nutler said:

I see. I will go ahead and recommend using just basic HTML+JS and some graphing library in that case. I don't see a way that would be more lightweight or quicker than that. Fades, rotations and particles are all doable as well.

The only other reasonable way would be to use C, C++ or Python with some rendering library (or just raw OpenGL).

C# is pretty much out of the question, at least as far as I know.

well if it comes down to it ill have a look into it but ill still first try to make monogame happen i guess.

having to reitroduce myself into the whole web development thing is just to big a hassle if i can make c# happen itll speed up my projects way more or more like not slow it down.

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

well if it comes down to it ill have a look into it but ill still first try to make monogame happen i guess.

having to reitroduce myself into the whole web development thing is just to big a hassle if i can make c# happen itll speed up my projects way more or more like not slow it down.

Sure, that makes sense!

In this case just the very basics of HTML, JS, and potentially jQuery would be enough to get it done.

And if it comes down to it, feel free to send me a message and I'll help you out.

I hope monogame will fill the requirements, or somebody more knowledgeable on running C# on RPi can nod you towards a working solution.

1 minute ago, Nutler said:

Sure, that makes sense!

In this case just the very basics of HTML, JS, and potentially jQuery would be enough to get it done.

And if it comes down to it, feel free to send me a message and I'll help you out.

I hope monogame will fill the requirements, or somebody more knowledgeable on running C# on RPi can nod you towards a working solution.

using c# id use peer to peer socket communication 

could you give me a basic idea of how i could transfer data from one pc to the pi when using a web interface like would i need to set up a database of some sort to draw data from or ... i have really not done much that wasnt desktop applications and have no clue when it come to web development

the idea is to have my PC send all its system status data and whatnot to the pi preferebly even over usb p2p and not wifi and then have the pi just display / illustrate it

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

could you give me a basic idea of how i could transfer data from one pc to the pi when using a web interface like would i need to set up a database of some sort to draw data from or ...

the idea is to have my PC send all its system status data and whatnot to the pi preferebly even over usb p2p and not wifi and then have the pi just display / illustrate it

JS has WebSockets and various libraries to make socket-based communication between computers possible. So that wouldn't be too different from how you'd go about doing it in C#. And I'd recommend that in this case.

There are other solutions to that, but they require a more complex system to back them.

As for the database, unless you need more than 50MBs of raw data to be stored at once, you can get away with just using the IndexedDB, which is provided by modern browsers.

So, opening the HTML file on RPi would start the WebSockets server, which looks and acts just like any other TCP-socket server.

Now you can send data to the RPi and have the JS save the data to IndexedDB as well as render it on the webpage.

This is just one possible way to go about it, but the one I'd try out first.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:32 PM, cluelessgenius said:

the thing is im basically a one trick dog and c# is it. i have never touched c++,opengl/python/.... and if at all possible would like to keep it that way and stick to what i know.

You may find that you'll surprise yourself. In any event it's no good trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:32 AM, cluelessgenius said:

the thing is im basically a one trick dog and c# is it. i have never touched c++,opengl/python/.... and if at all possible would like to keep it that way and stick to what i know. also UWP does work for what i want to do. so its not that demanding but apparently more than software redering can handle

"If at all possible I would like to learn as little as possible."

No matter what subject we are talking about, you have to live with the consequences of your decisions. Programming is no different: If you choose not to learn how to do things better, then you will not get better results.

To answer your specific question, I can find all sorts of information about streaming video from a Pi to a .NET application (usually in reference to making a webcam), but none about doing it the other way around. You may find useful information in those texts, however.

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

You may find that you'll surprise yourself. In any event it's no good trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole...

58 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

"If at all possible I would like to learn as little as possible."

No matter what subject we are talking about, you have to live with the consequences of your decisions. Programming is no different: If you choose not to learn how to do things better, then you will not get better results.

To answer your specific question, I can find all sorts of information about streaming video from a Pi to a .NET application (usually in reference to making a webcam), but none about doing it the other way around. You may find useful information in those texts, however.

i knew this was coming when iwrote that :D

yes i know i know you learn till you die blahblah blah

i guess what i meant here is that i would like progress this project as fast as possible and learning a complete new language and environment isnt gonna do that

and seriously guys can i go a day without preaching from from somebody

also its not about streaming video the problem is that windows iot doesnt support hardware acceleration for the pi since it "doesnt meat the requirements for directx" 

3 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

i would like progress this project as fast as possible and learning a complete new language and environment isnt gonna do that

Not true at all.

A false, but amusing and mildly true analogy might be "I want to get this job done as soon as possible and using a new tool, like a bulldozer, is not going to speed up what I can do with this hammer."

Trying to do something with the wrong, or not-most-efficient tool is going to hurt you even in the "short-run." Research it. If C and C++ are native to the Pi, or Python does the job and easy to install (Pi is linux so both of those should be true) then use one of those. Don't shorthand yourself by trying to use the wrong tool. I guarantee you that learning another language, especially a C variant coming from C#, is not going to be as hard as you think.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

3 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

seriously guys can i go a day without preaching from from somebody

Sure then, better make the most of it while you know best. That's a real winning attitude ya got there ^_^

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

6 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

i knew this was coming when iwrote that :D

yes i know i know you learn till you die blahblah blah

i guess what i meant here is that i would like progress this project as fast as possible and learning a complete new language and environment isnt gonna do that

and seriously guys can i go a day without preaching from from somebody

also its not about streaming video the problem is that windows iot doesnt support hardware acceleration for the pi since it "doesnt meat the requirements for directx" 

Seems to me that you should look for a platform that does support hardware acceleration on the Pi then. Or an alternative to hardware acceleration.

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Sure then, better make the most of it while you know best. That's a real winning attitude ya got there ^_^

Looks like @cluelessgenius just lost the support of one of the most experienced and active programmers on the forum :/ 

On 14.12.2017 at 9:44 PM, LtStaffel said:

Not true at all.

A false, but amusing and mildly true analogy might be "I want to get this job done as soon as possible and using a new tool, like a bulldozer, is not going to speed up what I can do with this hammer."

Trying to do something with the wrong, or not-most-efficient tool is going to hurt you even in the "short-run." Research it. If C and C++ are native to the Pi, or Python does the job and easy to install (Pi is linux so both of those should be true) then use one of those. Don't shorthand yourself by trying to use the wrong tool. I guarantee you that learning another language, especially a C variant coming from C#, is not going to be as hard as you think.

ok i see your point and maybe your right but wehter or not i should expand my horizon wasnt the question. if im asking how to do something in c# the solution cant be "do it in python".

On 14.12.2017 at 9:59 PM, Nuluvius said:

im just having a hard time with indirect answers. if i want to do it this way and its impossible then thats the answer "its impossible" but as said before recommending something completly different while not wrong is not a direct answer to the question i see this going on way to much on the forum where answers strive way too far from the question

On 15.12.2017 at 12:44 AM, straight_stewie said:

Seems to me that you should look for a platform that does support hardware acceleration on the Pi then. Or an alternative to hardware acceleration.

yeah ive looked around and it doesnt look good. monogame also kinda worked at best because while they do offer enough performance sadly there no video support yet on multi platform. so i guess the question is gonna be what happens first monogame release 3.7 or microsoft updating iot and adding support for hardware acceleration.

On 15.12.2017 at 12:44 AM, straight_stewie said:

Looks like @cluelessgenius just lost the support of one of the most experienced and active programmers on the forum :/ 

if i didnt know better id sayy youre trying to provoke some sort of conflict here as i dont see how this is productive input

Posted · Best Answer

It can be...

It cost you nothing to ask a question on this forum and none of the answers are paid for. If you don't like an attempt at an answer, don't make the person waste more time on you by telling them that their answer is wrong, which will only make them defend it.

The answers here that recommend you try something besides C# are inherently saying that using C# is either impossible or impractical in this case, and are far less rude than saying "It's impossible." Without explanation.

Btw, the only reason I'm writing this is to save everyone else here, who have given an answer you didn't like, the energy.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

4 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

It can be...

wow. im sorry i wasted your time. consider this matter closed.

if i didnt know better id sayy youre trying to provoke some sort of conflict here as i dont see how this is productive input

It's productive. If no one ever tells a person that they are making a mistake, the mistake will never get corrected.