djdwosk97

Home theater 5.1 Surround Setup

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm going to be moving into an apartment and so I need to get some new speakers. I don't have a specific budget in mind, but I was hoping to keep it under $500. Since I'm moving into an apartment they need to be relatively small (e.g. bookshelf speakers, otherwise I would be able to keep my Rogers LS6s). I'll be using them mostly for movies/tv and occasionally games/music. 

I have an Onkyo TX-SR500 (receiver with a 5.1 channel amp). I plan to have a computer, ps3, and possibly a cable box connected to my tv via HDMI and then an optical out from the TV into the my receiver. I also have two miscellaneous hand-me down speakers that are probably from the 90s, that I might keep for the surround channel just to keep costs down for the time being. 

I was currently looking at an Emotiva BasX 8 ($200), NHT Supercenter ($200), and two Superzeros ($120).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why not go all Emotiva or all NHT? Frankly I'm not even sure how you order things from NHT. I click buy and nothing happens.

Also, I don't know if a subwoofer is a good idea for an apartment. I would purchase slightly beefier front left and right speakers that can go down to 40 to 50 Hz. You aren't really getting much more from a $200 woof box anyway.

49 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Why not go all Emotiva or all NHT? Frankly I'm not even sure how you order things from NHT. I click buy and nothing happens.

Also, I don't know if a subwoofer is a good idea for an apartment. I would purchase slightly beefier front left and right speakers that can go down to 40 to 50 Hz. You aren't really getting much more from a $200 woof box anyway.

Because all Emotiva speakers are going to be out of my price range and the same is true for NHT subs. I would get everything from Amazon or Best Buy.

And I don't know, a sub is very important and even a $200 sub should be far better than any speaker low end at this price range.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

22 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

And I don't know, a sub is very important and even a $200 sub should be far better than any speaker low end at this price range.

I would argue this, but for the sake of time... I won't. The other factor is your neighbors. I wouldn't be too happy if someone in a complex had a subwoofer. Just not common courtesy.

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

I would argue this, but for the sake of time... I won't. The other factor is your neighbors. I wouldn't be too happy if someone in a complex had a subwoofer. Just not common courtesy.

There's a difference between having a sub and cranking it to max. It's not like I'm bringing the 18" sub I have now.....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There's a difference between having a sub and cranking it to max. It's not like I'm bringing the 18" sub I have now.....

Wait that's silly. If you already have a good, big sub, then why are you buying a whole new one? You'll never be satisfied if you are anything like me.

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Wait that's silly. If you already have a good, big sub, then why are you buying a whole new one? You'll never be satisfied if you are anything like me.

Because the one I have now is physically too big, plus it's white, which I don't particularly want (although I have considered bringing it to save the money).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because the one I have now is physically too big, plus it's white, which I don't particularly want (although I have considered bringing it to save the money).

Paint it. Bring it with you. Put a tablecloth over it if you have to. 

Call me an audio pleb or w/e but for me, even at low volumes, a $100-$200 sub makes a noticable improvement over just speakers. I live in an appratment complex and use my sub at really low volumes but still get a more full sound that I enjoy, and havent had complaints from the neighbors. I have heard good things about the Dayton Sub line so maybe that is a good place to start for a budget subwoofer. I have the PSW10 in my desk and its "okay" enough for low level listening and, again, just enough to fill out the low end of music and games. End of the day do what makes you happy and what you enjoy - even if it is not "right"