Jump to content
Swolf-Alpha

Iphone user considering leaving Apple: Convince me

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an Iphone 7plus matte black - Tmobile

 

I have had the Iphone since the 3gs and have loved it. Lately my love has grown weary and I want something new. It's not you Apple its me, wait no, its you. I HATE the form factor of the 10 or X, I like big ass phones, and I have the 7plus so why would I got for the 8 plus its just a slight refresh. 

 

SO! Here I am, looking for a new phone brand that will woo me and make me forget about Iphone. I tried going to the S7 Edge and didn't really like it, that is my only experience with android.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're already looking to leave the Apple ecosystem, you presumably already have your own reasons - you shouldn't need convincing.

 

This kind of post usually doesn't result in any real help, since everyone has their own opinion on what's good or bad, and everyone's use cases are different, so whereas someone needs an sd card reader and a 3.5mm jack, someone else doesn't, and they'd both have completely valid suggestions.

 

I would recommend that you try to narrow down the type of phone you want to use based on what you actually do with it, post it here, and then people can comment on it or recommend similar ones. The entire Android ecosystem is too large to just suggest a phone for you based on nothing except that you're using an iPhone 7+ right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it that you want that your 7 Plus doesn't offer, there will lie the answer as to what phone to get.


PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Tabs said:

If you're already looking to leave the Apple ecosystem, you presumably already have your own reasons - you shouldn't need convincing.

 

This kind of post usually doesn't result in any real help, since everyone has their own opinion on what's good or bad, and everyone's use cases are different, so whereas someone needs an sd card reader and a 3.5mm jack, someone else doesn't, and they'd both have completely valid suggestions.

 

I would recommend that you try to narrow down the type of phone you want to use based on what you actually do with it, post it here, and then people can comment on it or recommend similar ones. The entire Android ecosystem is too large to just suggest a phone for you based on nothing except that you're using an iPhone 7+ right now.

I hear you, I think I just wanted to hear some other personal bias. I think I am afraid to leave and hate it you know? A $700 phone should be something youre excited to use and now its just mundane and routine to get the next Iphone. What phone do you use?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What is it that you want that your 7 Plus doesn't offer, there will lie the answer as to what phone to get.

Honestly, I'm just not wowed by it currently. I spent all of this money on it and it just feels blah. I like the iMessage ecosystem, but thats the only thing I really like. Maybe its the resolution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swolf-Alpha said:

I hear you, I think I just wanted to hear some other personal bias. I think I am afraid to leave and hate it you know? A $700 phone should be something youre excited to use and now its just mundane and routine to get the next Iphone. What phone do you use?

I'm an awful person to ask since I'm still using Windows Phones xD

 

However, my partner has a Galaxy S8, and it works well for him. He's used Android phones for a very long time though, so I think it's just his "go-to" choice to buy the most modern Samsung flagship whenever he needs to upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

A $700 phone should be something youre excited to use and now its just mundane and routine to get the next Iphone. What phone do you use?

Well, we reached a point a few years ago where there really isn't all that much that can change with phones.

4 minutes ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

Honestly, I'm just not wowed by it currently. I spent all of this money on it and it just feels blah. I like the iMessage ecosystem, but thats the only thing I really like. Maybe its the resolution. 

The resolution could matter, but unlikely. For most people, 1080p is above what your eyes can resolve at typical viewing distances.


PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most flagship Android phones are going the same route, so I'm not sure what you're really after?

The screen size isn't that different overall. If you simply want a physically large phone, then yeah, I guess Android makes sense...for now at least. I imagine next year everything will be 18:9.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Most flagship Android phones are going the same route, so I'm not sure what you're really after?

The screen size isn't that different overall. If you simply want a physically large phone, then yeah, I guess Android makes sense...for now at least. I imagine next year everything will be 18:9.

Eh, I guess my post is stupid. I was just hoping to hear some different points of view. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

Eh, I guess my post is stupid. I was just hoping to hear some different points of view. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Nah I don't think it was stupid, but lacked a little info. Plus I think leaving the Apple ecosystem might be a little bit of a shock.

What do you like about big phones? Apple has unnecessarily large chin and foreheads on their non X phones. If you're looking for something big like that, there's the Razer phone.

What didn't you like about the S7 Edge?


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another one tries to leave Apple not knowing what to look for or avoid. Because you're used to having someone tell you what to like and how to use your phone. Or maybe return to the flock and continue to provide wool to your masters.


Please quote my post in your reply if you want me to read and/or respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Because you're used to having someone tell you what to like and how to use your phone. Or maybe return to the flock and continue to provide wool to your masters.

Or.......maybe it's just because he's bored of smartphones in general and wants something new and exciting, but since that doesn't exist he's lost.


PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, Swolf-Alpha said:

I have an Iphone 7plus matte black - Tmobile

 

I have had the Iphone since the 3gs and have loved it. Lately my love has grown weary and I want something new. It's not you Apple its me, wait no, its you. I HATE the form factor of the 10 or X, I like big ass phones, and I have the 7plus so why would I got for the 8 plus its just a slight refresh. 

 

SO! Here I am, looking for a new phone brand that will woo me and make me forget about Iphone. I tried going to the S7 Edge and didn't really like it, that is my only experience with android.

 

theres going to be a iphone x plus next year if you wait


i7 6700k/Asus Z170-E/16gb Corsair Vengeance LED 3200mhz/EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3/Samsung 960 PRO 512gb WD Blue 1tb/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

Link to post
Share on other sites

iphone 6, 6s 7, 8 all look very similar (Large bezel) and iphone x = overpriced shit imo 


If you tag me using "@ImHyperStyle" or quote my message in your response, I'll get a notification and will respond :)

 

FX 8350 4GHZ | Be Quiet Slim Rock | Gigabyte 970A DS3P REV 2.x | 16GB RAM | Gigabyte GTX 1050TI | 480GB SSD + 2x1TB HDD | 2x 24" Acer Monitor ([email protected] Secondary @67HZ)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Id stick with the iphone 7 plus and see what the next iphones are like. The 7 plus does everything a phone needs. Nice larg screen, nice camera, silky smooth ios with a fast cpu, plus the apple ecosystem. Unless you are an android guy i dont see the point in upgrading. 

 

Id wait for the next gen iphone, im sure theyll have plus versions. Hopefully without the stupid notch. By then youll have more android options as well. 


My System:

Corsair Obsidian 450D, I7 4790K, Corsair H60, Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2, A-data 8GB(2x4) XPG V2-1600 mhz, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980, Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB & 120GB SSD, Corsair CX 750M, PG278Q ROG Swift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/14/2017 at 1:17 AM, dizmo said:

Nah I don't think it was stupid, but lacked a little info. Plus I think leaving the Apple ecosystem might be a little bit of a shock.

What do you like about big phones? Apple has unnecessarily large chin and foreheads on their non X phones. If you're looking for something big like that, there's the Razer phone.

What didn't you like about the S7 Edge?

It got really hot, had bloatware and seemed a little more laggy than my 7+. I like big phones because my hands are big and I use my phones to edit documents and pictures and what not. The apple ecosystem is soooo easy to just stay in I don't know if Ill be able to get use to sometyhing more open

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

It got really hot, had bloatware and seemed a little more laggy than my 7+. I like big phones because my hands are big and I use my phones to edit documents and pictures and what not. The apple ecosystem is soooo easy to just stay in I don't know if Ill be able to get use to sometyhing more open

Note8 is all I can say say if you're editing documents. Amazing device. 

Bloat is unfortunate but can often be uninstalled, or get it from a carrier that isn't so aggressive with it. 

 

Haha, then stay? No reason to leave it if it's working for you. 


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Id stick with the iphone 7 plus and see what the next iphones are like. The 7 plus does everything a phone needs. Nice larg screen, nice camera, silky smooth ios with a fast cpu, plus the apple ecosystem. Unless you are an android guy i dont see the point in upgrading. 

 

Id wait for the next gen iphone, im sure theyll have plus versions. Hopefully without the stupid notch. By then youll have more android options as well. 

I am definitely an apple ecosystem person. Minus PC. I don't know but it seems like my iphone 7+ is slowing down from all of these updates. Seems like planned obsolescence but it could just be me. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, ImHyperstyle said:

iphone 6, 6s 7, 8 all look very similar (Large bezel) and iphone x = overpriced shit imo 

If they had a iphone 8+ with the OLED screen I would jump but I just hate the smaller body of the "X"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/15/2017 at 2:32 AM, SHADY16 said:

theres going to be a iphone x plus next year if you wait

I'm praying lol. I might get it if I don't find something between now and then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 12/14/2017 at 9:57 AM, djdwosk97 said:
On 12/14/2017 at 6:57 AM, huilun02 said:

Yet another one tries to leave Apple not knowing what to look for or avoid. Because you're used to having someone tell you what to like and how to use your phone. Or maybe return to the flock and continue to provide wool to your masters.

Or.......maybe it's just because he's bored of smartphones in general and wants something new and exciting, but since that doesn't exist he's lost.

 

You know there is nothing wrong with sticking to something you really like. I have never been an android VS apple kinda guy, the argument seems a bit arbitrary. I'm not one of those people who put an apple bumper sticker on there car, I just used there phones because for a long time their OS and form factor appealed to me the most. Now there are all of these other really great looking phones and I'm sitting here kinda bored with mine. And now that apple decided that the next phone is either $1000 or my phone but a little better I don't know if upgrading is actually worth it. Honestly I don't like the way apple is treating their consumers and I feel like they haven't given me a reason to stay in there ecosystem. So I am looking to others with different points of view and experiences, I'm not a sheeple, I am just someone who uses a smart phone interested in exploring the market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

If they had a iphone 8+ with the OLED screen I would jump but I just hate the smaller body of the "X"

 

1 hour ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

I'm praying lol. I might get it if I don't find something between now and then.

if you must upgrade you could always grab the 8+ nearly identical hardware to the X but with the same size as the 7+. really only difference between the 8+ and X is the screen form factor and face ID and a slightly better camera. also the X+ or w/e they call it is rumoured to start at $1149 and go up


i7 6700k/Asus Z170-E/16gb Corsair Vengeance LED 3200mhz/EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3/Samsung 960 PRO 512gb WD Blue 1tb/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, SHADY16 said:

 

if you must upgrade you could always grab the 8+ nearly identical hardware to the X but with the same size as the 7+. really only difference between the 8+ and X is the screen form factor and face ID and a slightly better camera. also the X+ or w/e they call it is rumoured to start at $1149 and go up

Dang yeah, I have a good job and am blessed to be able to afford higher end smart phones but 1000+ for a phone is insane! I've been watching a lot of reviews and the s8 plus seems pretty cool, but if the s9 comes out in the next 6 months ill be bummed I jumped the gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Swolf-Alpha said:

Dang yeah, I have a good job and am blessed to be able to afford higher end smart phones but 1000+ for a phone is insane! I've been watching a lot of reviews and the s8 plus seems pretty cool, but if the s9 comes out in the next 6 months ill be bummed I jumped the gun.

The S9 will come out in Q1 2018, like usual. I would also expect the Xs to be like $800 and the Xs+ to be $900. First gen Apple products almost always carry a price premium that gets knocked down with followup generations.


PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.



  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Last Topics

league of legends pvp patcher kernel windows 7 ultimate piratebay unifi without controller taking out stripped screws xbox 360 hard drive slim gamestop selling games at gamestop asus laptop cmos battery location xbox 360 wireless controller on pc with play and charge 2.5 mm jack headphones pdp afterglow xbox 360 controller 775 core 2 quad build 7601 windows 7 fix computer says windows not genuine cisco smart wifi login get bios password citrix receiver problems take case off xbox 360 windows 7 ultimate genuine crack what ios is ipod touch 3rd gen pokemon emerald waterfall hm how many megabites is a gigabite cable to connect xbox 360 controller to pc where to find super rod in emerald xbox 360 console gamestop xbox controller headset jack command and conquer generals zero hour origin xbox 360 pawn value icloud and outlook calendar how to overclock core 2 duo how to setup unifi ap command and conquer generals code


×