JoostinOnline

Need a quiet keyboard with light force switches

Posted · Original PosterOP

I got a Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent keyboard, but it won't work for me.  It was quiet enough (the main thing that's turned me away from mechanical keyboards is the noise), but the keys required too much pressure. I know 45g of force seems like nothing to most of you.  It would have been the same way for me a year ago.  Unfortunately, I'm developing joint pain as a side effect of one of my medications (before you suggest it, I'm not stopping/changing medicine).

If there is a quiet mechanical keyboard out that requires less than 45g of force (as little as possible), I'd love to know about it.  RGB would be kickass, but it's definitely not necessary.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

WTT: Canadian Amazon Credit for US Amazon Credit (you make money)

PSU Tier List

The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

you just too dumb to understand grammer.. - An actual quote from this forum

What is the actuation force of Topre switches?

You could also try replacing the springs in your Strafe if you can find lighter springs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What is the actuation force of Topre switches?

30,35,45,55 grams depends on the model

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

-snip-

U might want a topre switches or gateron clear (35grams) but its linear.

Gateron clear

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=248

Unfortunately topre with 30-35g keyboard is hard to find

BEFORE YOU BUY GAMING MICE (Technical terms,Optical vs laser,Popular mice sensor,Mice suggestion,etc)

Always use quote or tag ashen one,We don't want you to go hollow in here.

I love Dark Souls lore,Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/ [LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

|Etna's EDM List|

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

I mostly stay away from OFF TOPIC Section.

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You could also try replacing the springs in your Strafe if you can find lighter springs.

Would I use these then? https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/cherry-mx-springs-100pcs

PSU Tier List

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I guess? I've never changed the springs in a Cherry switch before, so I don't know if there are any other limiting factors that you would need to look out for, how easy it is to do, or if those are good. I just know it's an option. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I guess? I've never changed the springs in a Cherry switch before, so I don't know if there are any other limiting factors that you would need to look out for, how easy it is to do, or if those are good. I just know it's an option. 

It's hard, tedious at best. At worst, impossible without disassembling the entire keyboard, including desoldering all the switches.

https://pcgamingrace.com/collections/glorious-gaming-modular-cherry-gateron-kailh-mechanical-keyboards/products/glorious-modular-mechanical-pc-gaming-keyboard-tenkeyless-tkl-87-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

You could get this modular keyboard with Gateron clears in it.  Even if gat clears are too heavy since it's modular your can just easily pull the switches out and do a spring swap. Once out they're fairly easy to open once you get the hang of it. Though I think the lightest spring you can get is 30g and gat clears are already only 35g.

2 hours ago, Howitz said:

o-rings?

How would o-rings lighten the spring?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

How would o-rings lighten the spring?

well i guess i missed some part, i was thinking about silence there haha, he mentionned he wanted the keyboard to be quiet.

3 hours ago, Howitz said:

well i guess i missed some part, i was thinking about silence there haha, he mentionned he wanted the keyboard to be quiet.

I can deal with noise, as long as it isn't like the ones that are intentionally loud with the "feedback".

PSU Tier List

Has anyone tried a Razer Ornata Chroma?

PSU Tier List

22 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Has anyone tried a Razer Ornata Chroma?

The actuation force is supposedly 60g: http://tomshardware.com/news/razer-mecha-membrane-switch-ornata-chroma,32637.html

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler