Nataly_Gaming_Girl

Why are houses in the USA made of wood ?

cost.

wood is cheap in the US, it also takes less labor to construct.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Wood is cheap and easy to build with.

Both very important factors when a large part of the country risks losing their house to hurricanes, floods, earthquakes or, apparently, wild fires.

There's also just regional preferences in housing materials.

like, where I live concrete buildings are seen as tacky, cheap and as a relic of the 1960's. Buildings here tends to be build out of bricks or wood.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

good question i always wondered myself. around here its usually brick and mortar and although there are some wooden houses from time to time its not that common. also im wondering if its that much cheaper really. like what would building a standard house cost in the us normally

"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX770 TF 2GB  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Custom IN WIN 901

Here in Aus. if you live in Western Australia your house would be made predominantly from masonry due to the lack of timber supply, whereas if you live on the east coast the opposite is true, we have plentiful timber supply and aggregates are not as easy to work with. 

I assume it is very similar in the US. 

Also if you have the option, timber gives you a multitude of options that masonry doesn't, like being able to rout and re-route electrical, plumbing, move doors change the cladding type, and cladding speed is also faster than hard setting plaster or rendering the outside.  That's just of the top of my head.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Have you tried setting up WiFi in a concrete house? It’s a mission and a bloody half. That’s not why hey use wood but that’s what matters to me xD.

Hit that like button if I helped you :). If you need my attention hit the quote button, or I won't see your reply.

-Rig specs in profile.

The invention of a better foolproof design is always coupled with the invention of a better fool. I am that fool :P 

Cheap, strong, light, and allows for easy remodel.

Super Space Invader

Coming from the outer space.

Pyo.

In general there is a lot of wood in the US, which makes wood a very cheap material to use. 

It also makes houses very fast to build, and easy to remodel. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

In addition to cost (it's mostly a labor difference), wood is also a superior material for residential construction.  Concrete requires high strength metal reinforcing to have any tensile strength, also has nearly zero elasticity, and is easily damaged by impacts.  Wood is very strong in compression, tension, and shear; can be fastened with quick and simple techniques (like nails and screws); can be made into a variety of cheap composites (plywood, MDF, particle board, OSB); and wood structures can be easily engineered to be very flexible for high wind and earthquake areas.

Reinforced concrete does scale much better due to the variety and quantity of reinforcing.  It gets tricky to make a wood building more than about 10 stories high, way less than the limit for concrete and steel. 

From my experience as an engineer and residential builder, I would say that for smaller structures (like houses), wood would probably be the preference for everyone if it was available.

in the 1950's when america was building more housing they built almost every neighbor hood out of wood and it kinda stuck partly because it looks okay and partially because it cheap.

I am scared of normal people, I like RGB. anime is luv anime is life ( so is  @Ashiella lol). I right now go to school

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

I would say I have been a gamer all my life but I don't have one lol

to breakout the slammer you need a sledge hammer

After WWII they had to build houses quick because of the baby boomers. Wood was the best option. In my city lots of people are moving in so the choice still stands.

CPU: i5-6300HQ GPU: 940MX 2GB RAM: 8 GB DDR4-2133MHz Storage: 1TB SATA Hard Drive + 128 GB SSD Display: 15.6" 1920x1080 LED backlight, Anti-Glare  OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Logitech G300

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

how about hurricane-prone areas? o_o

same thing beachs have it because of price and it is easy to replace.

I am scared of normal people, I like RGB. anime is luv anime is life ( so is  @Ashiella lol). I right now go to school

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

I would say I have been a gamer all my life but I don't have one lol

to breakout the slammer you need a sledge hammer

11 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

good question i always wondered myself. around here its usually brick and mortar and although there are some wooden houses from time to time its not that common. also im wondering if its that much cheaper really. like what would building a standard house cost in the us normally

The cost of the actual house is similar, but labor costs go through the roof. It's way more work to route everything around a concrete construction. Wiring, installing drywall, etc etc. That can cause the costs to go up drastically, or you can pay about the same and it just takes a whole hell of a lot longer.

6 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

In general there is a lot of wood in the US Canada, which makes wood a very cheap material to use. 

FTFY ;)

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

>concrete for a house

What? Bricks how it's done, are you using breeze blocks? xD

Intel Core i7 5820K 4.7GHz 1.28V | Watercool MO-RA3 420 LC | ASUS RVE | Trident Z 3200MHz 4x4GB | GTX 980 K|NGP|N 2-Way SLi

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Black 32GB | Exynos 8890 Octa | SanDisk Ultra 200GB SDXC

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Valley | Superposition

3 hours ago, Blasteque said:

In addition to cost (it's mostly a labor difference), wood is also a superior material for residential construction.  Concrete requires high strength metal reinforcing to have any tensile strength, also has nearly zero elasticity, and is easily damaged by impacts.  Wood is very strong in compression, tension, and shear; can be fastened with quick and simple techniques (like nails and screws); can be made into a variety of cheap composites (plywood, MDF, particle board, OSB); and wood structures can be easily engineered to be very flexible for high wind and earthquake areas.

Reinforced concrete does scale much better due to the variety and quantity of reinforcing.  It gets tricky to make a wood building more than about 10 stories high, way less than the limit for concrete and steel. 

From my experience as an engineer and residential builder, I would say that for smaller structures (like houses), wood would probably be the preference for everyone if it was available.

10?  I think it is closer to 5-6 stories with timber/masonry.  Steel is the material for going higher.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:
7 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

In general there is a lot of wood in the US Canada, which makes wood a very cheap material to use. 

FTFY ;)

No doubt there's a lot of wood in Canada too, but states like Minnesota also have a lot of wood.

Not doing too swell at this semi if not permanent retirement thing lol

| Your Experience with Depression/Anxiety? | Where Do You Land on 16Personalities? | 

@Dan Castellaneta x @wcreek || Jake x Brendan :x 52ever
Spoiler

}} Titania  *December 22, 2017* {{

~Ryzen 7 1700 - Asus TUF B350 - Cryorig H7 - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB @ 2400MHz - XFX Double Dissipation RX 470 4GB - SanDisk SSDPlus 120GB - Toshiba 1TB HDD (2.5" 5400rpm) - Cooler Master Silencio 352 - LG DVD/CD Drive - EVGA SuperNova G2 550W - Windows 10 Education - Logitech G610 (MX Browns) - Corsair m65 Pro RGB~

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

No doubt there's a lot of wood in Canada too, but states like Minnesota also have a lot of wood.

Not doing too swell at this semi if not permanent retirement thing lol

Why would you ever want to leave? Join ussss :dry:

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Depends on the area and whether earthquakes, hurricanes, etc are common. Concrete is not the best building material for all expected loads, especially for earthquakes (you want some flexibility in the structure, to not get too technical).

Also wood is a super cheap and extremely plentiful resource (here, at least). Why not build with it?

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why would you ever want to leave? Join ussss :dry:

eh it's related to what this forum thinks about NN, that's all I have to say.

| Your Experience with Depression/Anxiety? | Where Do You Land on 16Personalities? | 

@Dan Castellaneta x @wcreek || Jake x Brendan :x 52ever
Spoiler

}} Titania  *December 22, 2017* {{

~Ryzen 7 1700 - Asus TUF B350 - Cryorig H7 - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB @ 2400MHz - XFX Double Dissipation RX 470 4GB - SanDisk SSDPlus 120GB - Toshiba 1TB HDD (2.5" 5400rpm) - Cooler Master Silencio 352 - LG DVD/CD Drive - EVGA SuperNova G2 550W - Windows 10 Education - Logitech G610 (MX Browns) - Corsair m65 Pro RGB~