Darth Blender

Speedup HDD

Posted · Original PosterOP

Is there a way to speed up a storage HDD? I have a SSD as my main drive and a 3tb HDD as secondary/storage. As the drive is getting fuller, it gets slower. I'm planning on buying another one soon but is there a way to increase its performance (like Intel RST, though optane memory does not work for secondary drives) ?

If you have a newer intel board optane, or maybe making your SSD a boot and not a main

I am scared of normal people, I like RGB. anime is luv anime is life ( so is  @Ashiella lol). I right now go to school

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

I would say I have been a gamer all my life but I don't have one lol

to breakout the slammer you need a sledge hammer

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

If you have a newer intel board optane, or maybe making your SSD a boot and not a main

The ssd is the main (boot) drive. The hdd is a secondary drive used for storage. I'm looking for a way to speed up my storage hdd.

Just now, Darth Blender said:

The ssd is the main (boot) drive. The hdd is a secondary drive used for storage. I'm looking for a way to speed up my storage hdd.

yeah optane would be your best bet if you have a newer intel system if not then IDK sorry.

I am scared of normal people, I like RGB. anime is luv anime is life ( so is  @Ashiella lol). I right now go to school

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

I would say I have been a gamer all my life but I don't have one lol

to breakout the slammer you need a sledge hammer

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

yeah optane would be your best bet if you have a newer intel system if not then IDK sorry.

I think optane works only on your primary/os drive. (also i have a Z170 mobo so optane is a double no)

9 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Old Linus tips

"snip"

I've seen the video and its not worth it (in my case at least). My hdd is almost full. I'll see if i can do something when i buy the second storage drive or if there is a solution somewhere in Intel's rapid storage technology.

Hard drives work faster generally when less than 80% full, and the less full they are, it's been said they work a little zippier. You could try defragging it (Note: ONLY with HDDs, it is pointless and wears your drive down quicker in the case of SSDs). Here is an article on defragmenting hard drives from our Knowledge Base. There is also a feature called write cache which can effect drive performance as well, you can try playing with that setting if you like, you can learn more about it from another Knowledge Base article here.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming