Thatguywiththetoasterpc

Fallout 4 won't save settings (not .ini file related)

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys I'm back again with an odd one. I just tired booting up Fallout 4 on a fresh install of Windows 10 and noticed that the graphics settings would not change. I've tried running it as Admin, and I even checked to see if the fallout4pref.ini files were set to Read Only; I even tried reinstalling the damn thing. But still I've had no luck, I tested Skyrim: Special Edition and it works fine so I'm kind of lost here. If anyone knows what's up and how to fix it it would be really appreciated, I want to get back to slaying mutants and robot synths.

Hmm. Try deleting your fallout4prefs.ini and then launching again, so it can make/set up a new one. After removing its read only attribute, try adjusting the graphical settings, seeing if they stick. Also, have you tried verifying the game's files? Perhaps your game's launcher has been damaged.

6 hours ago, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

Ive completely reinstalled it man, still with no luck, also tried deleting them, I doesn't seem to do anything.

What antivirus do you have? I've been doing a little more research into the topic, and I've seen that some can actually interfere with being able to save your graphical settings. I'd either try running the game with your AV completely disabled, or at least implement the necessary exceptions for both your .ini folders and the game folder.

One more thing, have you tried messing with the permissions for certain game files? Sometimes even running as an admin just isn't enough - I'd set full control for everything (System, Users etc.) in both the .ini files, launcher, and the game's main .exe.

Posted · Original PosterOP

On 1/10/2018 at 5:54 AM, r3robbie said:

What antivirus do you have? I've been doing a little more research into the topic, and I've seen that some can actually interfere with being able to save your graphical settings. I'd either try running the game with your AV completely disabled, or at least implement the necessary exceptions for both your .ini folders and the game folder.

One more thing, have you tried messing with the permissions for certain game files? Sometimes even running as an admin just isn't enough - I'd set full control for everything (System, Users etc.) in both the .ini files, launcher, and the game's main .exe.

don't really have anti virus protection I use Windows 10's built in anti-virus software. I have Advanced SystemCare but I don't have real-time protection on. Sorry I took so long I've had stuff at work come up and I forgot to check back in.

2 hours ago, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

don't really have anti virus protection I use Windows 10's built in anti-virus software. I have Advanced SystemCare but I don't have real-time protection on. Sorry I took so long I've had stuff at work come up and I forgot to check back in.

It's alright. :)

Have you had any luck with what I mentioned?