ExtenZe

may have fucked up my external drive, help

Posted · Original PosterOP

I had an external toshiba canvio basics usb 3.0 750gb hard disk which i converted to an internal drive, as it was already 4 or 5 years old i noticed games that were installed on the drive were having sudden fps drops.

I also run crystaldiskinfo and hd tune and the drive seemed to be dying, hd tune showed 7 damaged legends.

I bought a new drive and replaced this old one.

Not knowing many things about hard drives etc. I just unpluged the toshiba drive and connected the new one.

I forgot then that I had some music files which i wanted to keep from the old drive ( the old toshiba drive was accessing files slowly but surely when i had installed it in the pc ).

Then i reassembled the external drive, which means i put it back in its case and connected it into the adapter from sata/sata power to usb 3.0 that the case had internally.

I tried connecting then the now external drive to my pc to get these files, windows at first recognized the drive as "local disk E" then the file explorer had the green bar loading when i connected the drive. 

But when the green bar reached almost at the end the drive would disconnect and reconnect and start from the beggining. Sometimes I also get a pop up from the notifications that the usb device isnt recognized/working properly.

When Im trying to check the drive it says it has 0 out of 0 bytes. I also attempted to chkdsk /f E: and it failed cause the file format was RAW.

I also tried connecting the drive again internaly but the pc would be much slower when opening ( even though the OS is in the ssd ) and it would check the E disk for error and repair ( this would take 1 second ).

Every program that was associated with that disk would not respond, for example the file explorer of windows would not respond the disk management, crystaldiskinfo, hd tune and the eassos recovery program which i found would not respond too.Programs work properly when the disk disconnects itself like i mentioned.

Disk I "executed" the disk as it was at its final moments?

Do I have an option to save some files?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the essay xD

I would say, that disk is a case for a decent flush down the toilet. 

You could always send the drive in to some professional data recovery company... but that will be mucho expensivo.

2 Main Systems (mine and my late wifes): AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX. 

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System: Asrock ASRock Z87 Extreme4/TB4, Intel Core i5 4460, 16 GB Ram DDR3 1600 ADATA XPG, 1 275 GB SSD, 2 Seagate 500 GB HDD, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

I think most likely the USB to SATA controller may have cached and damaged the file system.  If plugging it into the computer internally without the USB to SATA connector doesn't work, then the chance of data recovery is pretty slim.

Just now, Anghammarad said:

I would say, that disk is a case for a decent flush down the toilet. 

You could always send the drive in to some professional data recovery company... but that will be mucho expensivo.

yeah it is a very possible outcome, but they weird thing is that before i disconnect it it was working "fine", games were lsuttering but the disk was accessing files. I dont think it just happened to die when i pulled it out of the pc, maybe I caused the final blow to the disk, im really confused xD

Just now, xentropa said:

I think most likely the USB to SATA controller may have cached and damaged the file system.  If plugging it into the computer internally without the USB to SATA connector doesn't work, then the chance of data recovery is pretty slim.

when connecting the drive through sata ( after i already tried externaly with the usb controller, so maybe after the possible file system damage) i found that it was worse, my whole system would not respond at times and i had to restart the system and at the end to force shut down..

Starting up and shutting down for a drive are more stressfull than keeping it running. Then again direct exposure to G-Forces (moving the drive around, putting it down, etc) did a hit as well... 

A drive that is on the brink of its going into the data nirvana may run long enough to get your files, but every little shock may be its death.

2 Main Systems (mine and my late wifes): AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX. 

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System: Asrock ASRock Z87 Extreme4/TB4, Intel Core i5 4460, 16 GB Ram DDR3 1600 ADATA XPG, 1 275 GB SSD, 2 Seagate 500 GB HDD, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, Anghammarad said:

Starting up and shutting down for a drive are more stressfull than keeping it running. Then again direct exposure to G-Forces (moving the drive around, putting it down, etc) did a hit as well... 

A drive that is on the brink of its going into the data nirvana may run long enough to get your files, but every little shock may be its death.

yeah :/ this could be it, even though i can feel the disk spinning inside when i connect it to the computer , it must be dead?

Spinning alone isn't enough if there are too many bad sectors or the R/W heads are damaged. 

1 minute ago, ExtenZe said:

yeah :/ this could be it, even though i can feel the disk spinning inside when i connect it to the computer , it must be dead?