Jump to content
AtomicWaveBlast

So I have an old pc without windows but it has an HDD can I put that hdd in my main rig and install windows onto it?

Recommended Posts

YES!

U!

CAN!


AMD Ryzen 1600X with ASUS Prime x370 Pro and Corsair Vegence 2x8GB 3466 15cas, Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler, Samsung EVO 500GB, 4TB 7200, Asus GRX 1080 8gb rog strix, Fractal Define R4 case, Corsair RM750x, 10Gbps

Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally.


In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you HD is Sata compatible. Just do a clean install. Look for video in YouTube --> How to do a clean install of Windows

 

To check if compatible, do Google search for Sata Hard Drive pictures and compare to the one in your system and the one you have from the old system. 

 

If your comp is not to old it will use a  Sata  drive

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, Zmax said:

If you HD is Sata compatible. Just do a clean install. Look for video in YouTube --> How to do a clean install of Windows

 

To check if compatible, do Google search for Sata Hard Drive pictures and compare to the one in your system and the one you have from the old system. 

 

If your comp is not to old it will use a  Sata  drive

It has all brand new parts but the motherboard so the drive is a sata one psu brand new it has a gt 210 which I found for cheap

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

It has all brand new parts but the motherboard so the drive is a sata one psu brand new it has a gt 210 which I found for cheap

You should be ok

 

Do you have a make and model of the MB

Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of drive is the old one? IDE? SATA?


POST THE SPECIFICATIONS OF YOUR COMPUTER IN YOUR QUESTION FOR EASIER HELP

Main Laptop: HP Envy M6 AE-151DX, Intel Core i5-5200u (Broadwell Dual Core), 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 5500 Graphics, 240GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA 6.0Gb/s and 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card (secondary storage), Windows 10 Professional/ Linux Mint 18.3 MATE

ChromeBook: Gateway NV79, Intel Core i3-330M, 2GB DDR3, Integrated graphics, 80GB Seagate Barracuda, Neverware Cloudready

Folding Machine: Dell Vostro 260 MT, Intel Core i5-2400, 2GB DDR3 (broken DIMM slot), Intel HD 2000 Graphics, 80GB Seagate Barracuda, Linux Mint 18.3 MATE running Folding at Home on Full Power 24/7

Testing Desktop: Dell Inspiron 560 in a Compaq case, Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220, 5GB DDR3, XFX RX 570 4GB (don't ask), 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Windows 8.1 Professional

Hackintosh: Dell OptiPlex 780 SFF Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz Dual Core), 5GB DDR3 1066, GeForce 9500 GT 1GB Graphics, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" HDD, Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Secondary Laptop: HP Pavilion G6 2233NR, Intel Core i3-2370M (Sandy Bridge Dual Core), 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 320GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD, Windows 10 Professional (soon to be Mint 18.3/Windows 10/Windows 7)

Main Server: Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz Dual Core), 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Radeon HD 4670 512MB Graphics, 60GB OCZ Vertex 2, Windows Server 2016 (I upgraded!)

Secondary Server: Dell OptiPlex 330 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (2.53GHz Dual Core), 4GB DDR2 800Mhz, Intel Integrated Graphics, 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Greenpower, 500GB WD Caviar Green, FreeNAS

Online Machine: Paperspace, GPU+ Virtual Machine, Intel Xeon E5-2623 V4, 30GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000 8GB, 100GB SSD, Windows Server 2016

Another Server: HP Compaq DC7900 SFF, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz Dual core), 6GB DDR2 800MHz, Intel Integrated Graphics, 250GB WD Caviar Blue, Windows Server 2008 R2 (main OS)/Windows 7 Professional (other reasons)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it'll work. Will it perform well? Probably not. 

For my first build in may, my friend gave me an old hard drive that worked in my pc, but it wasn't the best experience. My games would freeze sometimes and everything was painfully slow. I know newer hard drives aren't that bad :P

 

Edit: Just saw your specs. An older HD probably won't slow you down much then - I guess it was a different case with my 7600k and gtx 1060 (whoops)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Lcucu3 said:

Yes, it'll work. Will it perform well? Probably not. 

For my first build in may, my friend gave me an old hard drive that worked in my pc, but it wasn't the best experience. My games would freeze sometimes and everything was painfully slow. I know newer hard drives aren't that bad :P

 

Edit: Just saw your specs. An older HD probably won't slow you down much then - I guess it was a different case with my 7600k and gtx 1060 (whoops)

 

 

My specs on my profile are not the old pc im talking about the old pc is a gt 210 with a pentium 4 915

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.



  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Last Topics

computer says windows not genuine gamestop xbox 360 with kinect need for speed carbon pc xbox 360 controller 2.5 mm jack headphones xbox 360 slim 250gb trade in q9650 vs e8400 xbox 360 gamestop trade in afterglow xbox 360 controller pc sync outlook and icloud calendar xbox 360 120gb hdd xbox 360 120gb trade in value


×