GamingMemeKing

POLL: Which is better; Controller with aim assist OR Keyboard & Mouse for an FPS?

POLL: Which is better; Controller with aim assist OR Keyboard & Mouse for an FPS?

39 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Which is better; Controller with aim assist OR Keyboard & Mouse for an FPS?

• Controller WITH Aim Assist
    • Keyboard & Mouse

• Please or to vote in this poll.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So which is better of the two? 

NOTE: When i say 'better', i mean which is more powerful / OP / competitively has an advantage - Not which one you prefer.

CPU: De-lidded i7 7700K @ 4.8GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: GTX 1080 Ti MSI GAMING X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Formula ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

It soo depends on how the aim assist is executed. Competitively, I think kb+m has a higher skill cap but after seeing what some people can do on a controller, I don't doubt that you can do great things with two joysticks

Being terrible with both, I prefere the mouse+keyboard as it feels more direct than a stick. I used to do plenty of console gaming though and never had an issue with sticks.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 [email protected] | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

I used to be able to do some magical shit with an Xbox controller playing BF4, but I've since made the switch and I'm not turning back.

I Voted KB+Ms but honestly It depends, Years ago I was playing CoD MW and Halo games on Xbox and while both had aim assist in a single player game I really didn't mind, it made me play faster and a lot more up close and no sniping, it was fun and isn't that all we are after. 

That said for anything multiplayer mouse is the best, it actually shows off the skills and reaction time/mouse control. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

BUMP.

EDIT: Reason for the old bump is because i am still getting a lot of messages on Steam from scrubs that think controller is better. I am sending them the link to this thread.

Posted (edited)

Competitive kb & mouse without a doubt 

casual either but controller may be preferred. Mouse is much more precise and has much easier sensitivity control. 

You move a gun in real life with your hands but you drive a car with a wheel because you’re guiding general movements. 

Edited by fpo
Corrected spelling of Competitive

PC game list: 

Build Plan: 

9 hours ago, fpo said:

Comparative kb & mouse without a doubt

This. Much more accurate, at least with the mouse movements. KB controls for moving aren't as accurate as you only have 4 directions. But sometimes I just want to lay back in bed and using a controller is much easier than trying to bring a keyboard and mouse on a bed. :P

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

This. Much more accurate, at least with the mouse movements. KB controls for moving aren't as accurate as you only have 4 directions. But sometimes I just want to lay back in bed and using a controller is much easier than trying to bring a keyboard and mouse on a bed. :P

I tried playing Space Marine (2011) with a keyboard and it was so horrible... 
It's a 3rd person shooter/hack 'n slash hybrid that you NEED the general movements of a controller & 2 multi-directional guides to maneuver.
But in multiplayer, you can shred people with the mouse and keyboard because you don't gain health as easily as in the campaign. 

PC game list: 

Build Plan: 

On 6.3.2018 at 11:04 PM, NinJake said:

If on console... well you're stuck with controller so.

No, because console support Keyboard and Mouse.

So its possible.

The game has to support it too though...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 3/6/2018 at 2:12 PM, TwoAdultsOneChild said:

It soo depends on how the aim assist is executed. 

Technically, an aimbot would be the ultimate aim assist.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: /main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I prefer controller without aim assist and KB/M. It just depends on where I'm sitting. With controller I still (or used to since I haven't played FPS often enough in three years) beat some guys on CoD and BF for PC. I think it depends more on the individual's muscle memory and instinct control. 

@GamingMemeKing Can you add an option for "without aim assist"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I prefer controller without aim assist and KB/M. It just depends on where I'm sitting. With controller I still (or used to since I haven't played FPS often enough in three years) beat some guys on CoD and BF for PC. I think it depends more on the individual's muscle memory and instinct control. 

@GamingMemeKing Can you add an option for "without aim assist"?

Really? I think Controller without Aim Assist VS Mouse & Keyboard would have a huge disadvantage.

I understand what you are saying though. You have come to use a controller without aim assist and can still hold your own against PC players.

However, i'm talking about the overall general consensus rather more so than personal preference and experience. ;P

6 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

Really? I think Controller without Aim Assist VS Mouse & Keyboard would have a huge disadvantage.

I understand what you are saying though. You have come to use a controller without aim assist and can still hold your own against PC players.

Going without aim assist is less disadvantageous as you will always be in control of your aim. Same as why KB/M users recommend acceleration being turned off. Reproducibility of an action is most important in games and every instance that a value changes the worse the user will do when it comes to compensating.

6 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

However, i'm talking about the overall general consensus

Unless you have statistics to back this up, I’m not buying that “general concensus” spiel.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

18 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

The thing with aim assist is you can't control what you want to shoot at when you ADS. If you have two people side by side and one target is more important to take out than another (like someone's aiming at you but the other has their back turned) and the aim assist takes the wrong target, then that's precious time you're losing. Even if you can switch, that's still time taken away to switch.

Without aim assist, even if you ADS on the wrong target, you're probably still positioning the cursor down so you'll eventually target the intended one. So you get twofer if you let it rip.

So i only recently got into PC gaming (around 5 months ago). As someone who has played FPS games all their gaming life on a console I can assure you the switch from controller to K and M was hard.

But and oh this is a big but. The level of control you have on keyboard and mouse and the sheer speed is next to impossible to replicate on a controller. 

That said, each to their own. For me its keyboard and mouse or nothing these days

System: Intel Core i7 - 7700K 4.2GHZ - 16GB Corsair Vengence RGB - ASUS Strix Z270F Motherboard - ASUS GTX1080 ROG Strix A8G Advanced - M.2 Western Digital Blue 240GB - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB - Corsair RM650X Powersupply - Corsair H110 v2 Cooler