Jump to content
JohnLuelf

WH1000XM2 or M50Xish headphones

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all,

 

I've been using my Bose QC25's for about 2 years now and have been loving the ANC, however, the sound quality never really did it for me. They don't really sound exciting or immersive and I've been looking for an upgrade. I've narrowed down my search to two choices: either buy the WH1000XM2's or better sounding, non ANC headphones and save some money (I'd just continue using the QC25's on daily commutes and flights). Although I haven't gotten a chance to try them in person the M50X's sound appealing to me, although some people have said that they can be harsh in the higher frequencies, something which I tend to be pretty sensitive to. Does anyone have any other suggestions in terms of warmish sounding headphones with a strong mid range and nice clarity? Already ruled out the DT770's as I've read they have a very V shaped signature.

 

I guess it comes down to this: I know audiophiles tend to disregard ANC wireless headphones because of their sound, but I've heard nothing but good things about the XM2's. Would other wired headphones around $200-$300 sound noticeably better? Would the M50X's sound noticeably better?

 

Side note: I don't care much for the extra features of the XM2's, or the better ANC. I'm happy with my 25's in that regard. I've heard that the Bose are more comfortable, which is certainly believable xD.

Thanks in advance, 

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

The Bose's have this thing where at lower volumes the bass is overwhelming, but when you turn it up the treble is almost boosted and becomes harsh, especially while listening to low quality mp3 files.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Just don't get an m50x @Max_Settings

Agreed. Anything but the M50Xs. 


CPU  i7 6850k | i7 4770k in dropbox server

GPU: 1080ti

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | Intel 600p 256gb NVME

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi 2. More coming soon.

Headphones: HD 6XX, T50RP MK3 with more on the way.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JohnLuelf said:

Is there a particular reason? Are they in general just not great?

 

 

Make sure you quote people like I quoted you, that way we see your reply.

They are good to people who have used apple ear pods. But when given proper context they are not enjoyable.

@Max_Settings started with these and once he got his hands on real headphones realized how much he hated them. Here is his review. He has also reviewed many other headphones around 200$, I will link them below as well.

 

 


CPU  i7 6850k | i7 4770k in dropbox server

GPU: 1080ti

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | Intel 600p 256gb NVME

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi 2. More coming soon.

Headphones: HD 6XX, T50RP MK3 with more on the way.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Slickrr13 said:

 

Make sure you quote people like I quoted you, that way we see your reply.

They are good to people who have used apple ear pods. But when given proper context they are not enjoyable.

@Max_Settings started with these and once he got his hands on real headphones realized how much he hated them. Here is his review. He has also reviewed many other headphones around 200$, I will link them below as well.

 

 

Thanks a lot, I'll look through it. Sorry for not quoting earlier forgot about that.

 

Edit: If that's an accurate representation they'e definitely not the headphones for me LOL

 

Edit 2: would something like the K7XX or HD6XX sound noticeably better over the XM2's? Sorry if it' a stupid question, I'm not an audiophile or anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JohnLuelf said:

Thanks a lot, I'll look through it. Sorry for not quoting earlier forgot about that.

 

Edit: If that's an accurate representation they'e definitely not the headphones for me LOL

 

Edit 2: would something like the K7XX or HD6XX sound noticeably better over the XM2's? Sorry if it' a stupid question, I'm not an audiophile or anything.

Never personally heard the XM2. The problem with the K7XX and HD6XX is they require and AMP to run properly.

The HD6XX is regarded as one of the if not the best headphone for 200$. If you do not mind getting an AMP they are phenomenal, I love mine.

The 6XX is known for having slightly forward mids and a slightly warm sound. Also, the 6XXs are the same thing as the 650.

 If you want headphones that are a little more portable then they will not work for you. If portability is a concern let us know and we will find a solution.

If you look at @Max_Settings M50X review he has several headphones listed at the bottom of the review that he recommends. Take a look at those. 

 


CPU  i7 6850k | i7 4770k in dropbox server

GPU: 1080ti

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | Intel 600p 256gb NVME

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi 2. More coming soon.

Headphones: HD 6XX, T50RP MK3 with more on the way.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

Never personally heard the XM2. The problem with the K7XX and HD6XX is they require and AMP to run properly.

The HD6XX is regarded as one of the if not the best headphone for 200$. If you do not mind getting an AMP they are phenomenal, I love mine.

The 6XX is known for having slightly forward mids and a slightly warm sound. Also, the 6XXs are the same thing as the 650.

 If you want headphones that are a little more portable then they will not work for you. If portability is a concern let us know and we will find a solution.

If you look at @Max_Settings M50X review he has several headphones listed at the bottom of the review that he recommends. Take a look at those. 

 

Definitely not - I'm just getting these for home listening. Just went to BestBuy to try out the XM2's. Personally not my taste, probably a bit cleaner and more relaxing than the QC35's but not something instantly noticeable. And yeah, I was considering buying open-back since these aren't really going outside. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely try out the 6XX's. Also, I already have the FiiO E10k. Guessing it's gonna be alright for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnLuelf said:

Definitely not - I'm just getting these for home listening. Just went to BestBuy to try out the XM2's. Personally not my taste, probably a bit cleaner and more relaxing than the QC35's but not something instantly noticeable. And yeah, I was considering buying open-back since these aren't really going outside. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely try out the 6XX's. Also, I already have the FiiO E10k. Guessing it's gonna be alright for them.

Well under your budget but if your looking for an exciting headphone which is also very portable checkout the ATH-M40x with Brainwaves HM5 Angled ear pads.  I will post links below. These sound awesome in just about ever application and do not require an amp but benefit from one for when your at home. 

 

https://amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615310&sr=8-3&keywords=ATH-M40x&dpID=41gFqXe5oBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

 

Pads:

https://amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-5&keywords=HM5+Pads&dpID=31JaOMNVwPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

 

Sheepskin pads:

 

https://amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-12&keywords=HM5+Pads

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Well under your budget but if your looking for an exciting headphone which is also very portable checkout the ATH-M40x with Brainwaves HM5 Angled ear pads.  I will post links below. These sound awesome in just about ever application and do not require an amp but benefit from one for when your at home. 

 

https://amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615310&sr=8-3&keywords=ATH-M40x&dpID=41gFqXe5oBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

 

Pads:

https://amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-5&keywords=HM5+Pads&dpID=31JaOMNVwPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

 

Sheepskin pads:

 

https://amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1524615414&sr=8-12&keywords=HM5+Pads

 

 

I'll consider it, thanks. Find it weird how people are saying the M40's sound better than the 50's, but I'll take their word for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnLuelf said:

I'll consider it, thanks. Find it weird how people are saying the M40's sound better than the 50's, but I'll take their word for it.

The M40s are way better. Also, your FiiO E10k will power the 6XXs fine. I can not recommend them enough. For 200$ they are a crazy value. 


CPU  i7 6850k | i7 4770k in dropbox server

GPU: 1080ti

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | Intel 600p 256gb NVME

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi 2. More coming soon.

Headphones: HD 6XX, T50RP MK3 with more on the way.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

M40x are bright headphones and they sound V shaped like the DT770s. Not sure about the M50x as I haven't heard them but they are received poorly everywhere haha.

If you are looking for a warm, neutral laid back headphone then the HD598 is a great option. They are smooth sounding, the highs are rolled off like the HD6xx, but the HD6xx has more clarity and resolution.


Intel core i7 2600k 4.5ghz + NHD15, Gigabyte 980 Ti Gaming G1 in Fractal Design Define R5 powered by EVGA G2 750

Monitor: Dell S2716DGR

Keyboard: Vortex Race 3 Cherry MX Brown

Mouse: Zowie EC2A + Zowie GSR-SE

Home Audio: Schiit Jotunheim   Sennheiser HD6XX   AT2020USB+

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slickrr13 said:

The M40s are way better. Also, your FiiO E10k will power the 6XXs fine. I can not recommend them enough. For 200$ they are a crazy value. 

I have to disagree with you here, the FiiO E10k is rated up to 150 ohms. It will be a bad pairing with the HD6xx, that is rated at 300 ohms.


Intel core i7 2600k 4.5ghz + NHD15, Gigabyte 980 Ti Gaming G1 in Fractal Design Define R5 powered by EVGA G2 750

Monitor: Dell S2716DGR

Keyboard: Vortex Race 3 Cherry MX Brown

Mouse: Zowie EC2A + Zowie GSR-SE

Home Audio: Schiit Jotunheim   Sennheiser HD6XX   AT2020USB+

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sabron said:

I have to disagree with you here, the FiiO E10k is rated up to 150 ohms. It will be a bad pairing with the HD6xx, that is rated at 300 ohms.

It is not perfect, but it will get the job done until he gets a real amp IMO.


CPU  i7 6850k | i7 4770k in dropbox server

GPU: 1080ti

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | Intel 600p 256gb NVME

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi 2. More coming soon.

Headphones: HD 6XX, T50RP MK3 with more on the way.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.



  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Last Topics

generals rise of the reds pc compatible xbox 360 controller setup linksys router as repeater windows 7 build 7601 not genuine command and conquer generals maps taking apart xbox 360 elite computer says windows not genuine opening xbox 360 elite fable pc controls win 7 build 7601 activator windows 7 ultimate key generator torrent how to export contacts to icloud windows 7 ultimate not genuine how to transfer contacts icloud stripped screw on laptop pre owned xbox 360 gamestop gta 5 xbox 360 gamestop headphone jack 2.5mm how to make windows 7 build 7601 genuine how to sync outlook with icloud office 365 sync outlook unifi ap outdoor setup xbox 360 wireless controller via play & charge kit jailbreak ios 5.1.1 ipod touch 3.5mm jack to 2.5mm jack converter headphone jack adapter 3.5mm to 2.5mm windows is not genuine build 7601 fix command and conquers generals link icloud to outlook windows 7 this copy is not genuine 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm adapter xbox windows 7 is not genuine 7601 how to get a strip screw out


×