• Announcements

• alpenwasser

Please Use CODE Tags 31 Jan 2016

Welcome to the Programming and Software Design Section,

When asking for help with programming issues, please use the code tags to enclose your code, it makes things much more easily readable for the people trying to help you, thus improving your chances of actually getting help.
        To add code tags, click the <> button on the editor toolbar, then enter your code in the code editor that appears. If you are on a mobile device, or prefer to use BBCode, you can use [code] // Your code here // It will be syntax highlighted, though not necessarily corectly. [/code] (but the code editor is more consistent and less buggy).
Antman507

I'm super rubbish at this stuff

Posted · Original PosterOP

im currently doing programming at school, and i am so bad at it, could any one help and explain what are the outputs of (using python) :

print(highscores[3])

print(highscores[0] - highscores[4])

Well i'm not good at it either but it looks to me you are using values from an array.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Array_data_structure#One-dimensional_arrays

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The first one will print item 4 (computers count from 0 so 0,1,2,3) in the list highscores 

the second will display item 1 minus item 5

e.g 

highscores = [1,2,3,4,5]

it will show

2 hours ago, Antman507 said:

print(highscores[3])

This line prints a 4th element (number, string, whatever you store at that position) of "highscores" array

2 hours ago, Antman507 said:

This one prints the result of the subtraction in parentheses (first element - fifth element)

Many will disagree with my recommendation but for starting the SYNTAX of python, codecademy.com is pretty good. 

It doesn’t teach you good practices nor thinking. Only the syntax and what things mean. I think it’s good for starting. 

PC game list: 

Build Plan: 

23 hours ago, Antman507 said:

im currently doing programming at school, and i am so bad at it, could any one help and explain what are the outputs of (using python) :

print(highscores[3])

I'll explain it from a higher level of abstraction so hopefully you can actually understand what you're doing here. You have an array called highscore. It is important to know that this is an array, and not a list, set, collection, etc. In python (and many other languages) you can use indexing to access data within the array. As others have mentioned, arrays start counting at 0.

So in the first line of code, you're calling the print function to print whatever data is in the 4th 'slot' in the highscores array. We don't know the contents of the array, so it could be numbers, strings, objects, or a mixture of data. So the next line could do a few different things. If the data in the first and fifth slots are numbers, the result of the substraction will be printed. If they are of different types, and an operation is not defined for substraction you will get a TypeError.

Edit:: It's also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the different data structures (Array, List, Set) as they appear in many languages, and their operations are usually very similar / the same across languages.

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

NetBeans is cancer. 

21 hours ago, fpo said:

Many will disagree with my recommendation but for starting the SYNTAX of python, codecademy.com is pretty good. 

It doesn’t teach you good practices nor thinking. Only the syntax and what things mean. I think it’s good for starting. 

It's what I used to learn the python syntax. I did a year of creating scripts for people over forums and from that you learn how to make code neater and more maintainable. 

Sadly not used python for a while as my work uses node. I do miss it.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´