mr195

Random: Have you ever been greeted by someone saying "What do you think?"

Posted · Original PosterOP

I work with a guy, we'll call him Joe, who greets me and my coworker by saying "what do you think, young man?" and i never know how to respond. I just reply with "hey joe" and hope the conversation goes from there. have any of you been greeted in this way? what is your go-to answer?

I would ask back, "About what?" I say something similar when people ask how I am doing. I answer, "Doing what?" Or if asked how I am feeling, I'll say, "Mostly with my fingers." It's smart alecky but, the fact is, most of the time when people ask these questions, they don't really care to hear an actual answer to the question.

Jeannie

RAID is not a backup!

What do you think?

Couldn't resist.

Super Space Invader

Coming from the outer space.

Pyo.

A: What do you think?

B: I'm married now.

A: My condolences. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

A: What do you think?

Why did you have to steal my joke?

Super Space Invader

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why did you have to steal my joke?

I'm pretty sure marriage was a bad joke since 20,000 years ago. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I typically ignore people that do that kind of thing.

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm pretty sure marriage was a bad joke since 20,000 years ago. 

Spoiler

5adfafe8a85dc_EmoPandaTFiWWY1.thumb.jpg.60b1a7f02d7a23e273ebc7958362e5ca.jpg

Super Space Invader

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I typically ignore people that do that kind of thing...

What? And leave a perfectly good straight line begging to be played off of untouched?

Jeannie

RAID is not a backup!

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

What? And leave a perfectly good straight line begging to be played off of untouched?

Yup.

Super Space Invader

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yup.

Heresy!

Jeannie

RAID is not a backup!

I usually respond with an equally odd saying/adage. Look to context for answers. Gauge how weird you want it. 

What do you think?

A whole lot about nothing. 

What do you think?

I think it's hotter than two fat people fuckin in a smart car. 

Sometimes you gotta make them question why they even asked. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

What matters here is HOW he says his greeting, this will give you an indication of whether he is asking a question or making an observation. Often times we say things worded like "questions" but really all it is is a vocalization of an inner thought. I guess the premise here is to not over analyze his greeting or your response to it.

Being an older gentlemen I would assume this is purely a greeting and not him necessarily looking for your opinion on a matter. Perhaps too he is looking for a little banter, a back and forth or some "tongue in cheek". You could go all out on him and give your opinion on a matter that you have knowledge on, have a bit of fun with it sometimes.

I find these older guys are great friends to have in the work place, with knowledge and experience and often a killer sense of humor. Maybe he's just trying to reach out, so reach back and don't be too serious.

Cpu: i7 3930k 4.4ghz Ram: Corsair Dominator 2133mhz 16gb Quad Channel Gpu: GTX1080ti Psu: Silverstone Strider 1000w Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ11 costom modded Mouse: Razer DeathAdder cordless Monitor: Asus SSD: Intel 520 60gb Build Log: /main/topic/17437-the-silent-one-first-modintro-tj11-10-10-13/

What do you think I think? would be my response

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Growing up in the south and rural areas, that is still quite common. Generally speaking though, it is shortened to "whatchya think?". It's more of a friendly greeting, typically in reference to how someone is doing, or what they are thinking about something. I even do at times. My responses are normally in the realm of "not much, you?" or " just enjoying the weather". It's just a way of being courteous, acknowledging you and just trying to be genuinely friendly.

Posted · Original PosterOP

thanks everyone for the insight. i feel very cultured now and ready to make conversation lol