Bazzz

disable windows on old hdd

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

I'm struggling here.

I built a new pc for my boss, but I can't use his windows license key.
He used to have only one hdd with windows installed. I put a m.2 ssd in his new pc and installed windows, but windows says the key is already being used.

Do I have to deactivate the key on his old hdd? Windows is still installed on the hdd, but I couldn't seem to boot to the hdd in the bios settings.

Not sure what's happening, would really appreciate some help!

Cheers,

Bas

You shouldn't need to deactivate Windows on the old hdd. Try calling Microsoft and activating Windows over the phone.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: /main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Windows 10? If he has a Microsoft account it should be a simple matter of logging in and done. Otherwise contact Microsoft through chat or phone to have them reactivate Windows.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 [email protected] | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Posted · Original PosterOP

@WoodenMarker @tikker I called microsoft support and some 60 year old lady helped me through the process.

I gave her my key and she gave me another one. 

It works now, thanks a bunch!