Adarsh18

Suggestions on building a gaming rig

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

Im planning on building a gaming rig with the below configuration 

i5 8400 or ryzen 2600x

msi/zotac gtx 1060 3gb

pls suggest a motherboard (not looking into overclocking the cpu)

Also which brand is preferred for gpu and motherboard like msi, gigabyte, zotac

Thanks

I would prefer Zotac if those three are only the option for the 1060 3GB, also try to find the motherboard with these brand priorities

1st Asus, 2nd AsRock, 3rd Gigabyte, 4th MSI

Mostly because quality on their VRM or reliability of the board itself

"I want things to matter i hate it when things are just, whatever. Cable management, whatever. Fan placement, whatever. Thermal paste application, whatever."

-Luke Lafreniere from CPU & Heatsink Lapping - Are concave, convex, or flat heatsinks best for cooling? 3:14

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-I am a Value Oriented shopper, always thinking if something is worth over the other.

-I personally look air cooling First,  if not go all out in Custom water cooling for Aesthetics.

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

I am a Logitech Fan, gonna get that G633 Artemis Spectrum Headset. Since then I am interested (and open to other reputable brands) to sound quality and the Audiosphere.

I would totally go with the 8400 since the only two differences between these two are that Ryzen has 12 threads and a slightly improved multi-core performance which in gaming is not a big deal. If you plan on doing any other things excepting gaming then a 6c/12th will do the trick for you, if not.. I'd go with the 8400. 

If you can increase a bit your budget, I'd suggest you get a 1060 6gig version since most of the games at this moment use over 3 gigs, even over 4 gigs of ram and when you exceed the limit of ram the GPU has you'll experience stuttering and fps drops. If you do not plan on overclocking the cpu now and in the future(Think twice about this) you can go with a less expensive motherboard. By that I meant not with a z370 which is the best for overclocking. You could go with a B or H series motherboard. Check the ones that have the best specs for you. 3.1, 3.0, RGB(if you are into it) etc. 

Also do not forget that you'll need DDR4 memory and a good PSU.( DO NOT cheap out on the PSU/Motherboard ).

If you want an answer, just tag me or message me! ^^

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 8GB Crucial DDR4 2133mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Genius DeathTaker GX || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Stinger ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card( 1080 hopefully if prices drop ) << 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you for the replies....

I think i will go for 

zotac gtx 1060 3gb

i5 8400

coming for the motherboard (without any plans for overclocking), think i will go with

B360 motherboard from Asus or Gigabyte

if the price difference is big when compared to the expensive z370