Abdul201588

Windows 10 ISO download?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Anyone know where to download Windows 10? I'm currently downloading via Microsoft's Media tool but it is TAKING FOREVER. It's at 47% and It's been downloading for past 3 hours. Before anyone asks about my speeds. It's 80 down and 20 up.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Dell OptiPlex 390 Domain Controller | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

It sounds more like an issue with your USB than your internet speed.

The tool doesn't take long because it has to download an ISO, it takes long because it has to install it on a USB and check that everything is correct.

One single flipped bit will corrupt the entire OS installation.

My sound system uses more power than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 DCUII | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 White | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Ducky ONE RGB White TKL | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 55" TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II

Just now, Enderman said:

It sounds more like an issue with your USB than your internet speed.

The tool doesn't take long because it has to download an ISO, it takes long because it has to install it on a USB and check that everything is correct.

One single flipped bit will corrupt the entire OS installation.

Downloading straight onto my Internal HDD. I'm not downloading to a USB..

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690 |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 20" Dell  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Dell OptiPlex 390 Domain Controller | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

4 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Downloading straight onto my Internal HDD. I'm not downloading to a USB..

??

Are you making the ISO to install on a CD later? Why?

My sound system uses more power than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 DCUII | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 White | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Ducky ONE RGB White TKL | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 55" TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

??

The tool only lets you upgrade the current pc or create media for another pc on a USB/CD...

What are you actually doing?

Are you making the ISO to install on a CD later? Why?

Some of us use ISOs to install virtual machines, y'know ;) there's more to the world than immediately installing the mighty Micro$haft Winblows :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - Asus GTX1060 Dual 6GB OC Intel 600p 256GB & Crucial M550 512GB Fractal Define R5 CM G650M W8.1Pro

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

??

The tool only lets you upgrade the current pc or create media for another pc on a USB/CD...

What are you actually doing?

It downloads the ISO, YOU have an option to use it on a DVD or USB.. 

Spoiler

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Some of us use ISOs to install virtual machines, y'know ;) there's more to the world than immediately installing the mighty Micro$haft Winblows :P 

to be fair, most of the people here are gamers or are simply only familiar with doing their work on windows

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Kill the program and re-start the download.

Selling Microsoft Wireless Media Keyboard OS Support List Device OS Support List  | Does battery Saver affect CPU performance?

Surface Pro 4 i7 Refurb (Late 2016-Early 2018, Early 2018-present)  |  OnePlus 3 (Late 2017 - present) | 

Samaritan - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz, AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H100i v2, NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

2 minutes ago, General Winter said:

to be fair, most of the people here are gamers or are simply only familiar with doing their work on windows

That's cool and all, but there's also a sizeable user base here with IT knowledge, so I wanted to point that out as well :) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - Asus GTX1060 Dual 6GB OC Intel 600p 256GB & Crucial M550 512GB Fractal Define R5 CM G650M W8.1Pro

12 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

There's no reason to be using a DVD, it's 2018.

You should be using the tool to directly create the bootable media on a USB, not downloading the ISO to your PC.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There's no reason to be using a DVD, it's 2018.

You should be using the tool to directly create the bootable media on a USB, not downloading the ISO to your PC.

Who said anything about using a DVD? You have an option to install it onto a USB..or on a DVD. I need the ISO for a VM...

Spoiler

You can use browser addons to spoof MS website to think you are using unsupported OS. That gives direct download. Or you can use mirror sites. Mirrors might not have latest update packages included. One legit mirror is windowsiso.net.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

on the same page as the media creation tool there should be other options to download the iso directly without using the media creation tool. 

17 hours ago, Fleetscut said:

on the same page as the media creation tool there should be other options to download the iso directly without using the media creation tool. 

There isn't anymore. If you go to page on Windows PC, you only have MCT download as option. Or it's telling to use manufacturers recovery tools. If you go to page on mac or linux, you get direct download option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have a 200 down connection and when I used the MCT to download the ISO I just left it run overnight. It isn't your connection.

Also why are there people saying there is no reason to download the ISO? How is that helpful in any way? I can just as easily make a bootable USB from the windows 10 ISO if I needed to.

Some people need the ISO so they can mount the image in a VM. It's a lot faster and easier than passing a USB stick through for install.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:44 PM, Razor Blade said:

Also why are there people saying there is no reason to download the ISO? How is that helpful in any way? I can just as easily make a bootable USB from the windows 10 ISO if I needed to.

So far I've only seen one user (whom I shall not name now) having this odd fetish where only way to fix anything wrong in Windows is to reinstall whole OS. Or where only way to create bootable USB is to do it via MCT. And if bootable USB isn't working, its because it wasn't made with MCT (regardless of which software/ISO was used or even if it was bought with key). Its not majority of opinions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

So far I've only seen one user (whom I shall not name now) having this odd fetish where only way to fix anything wrong in Windows is to reinstall whole OS. Or where only way to create bootable USB is to do it via MCT. And if bootable USB isn't working, its because it wasn't made with MCT (regardless of which software/ISO was used or even if it was bought with key). Its not majority of opinions.

I actually prefer ISO anyway...Even if I didn't use any VMs. So far I have had to make 4 windows install USBs because one USB stick stopped working, one a certain someone broke accidently, one ended getting permanently borrowed, finally the last one I still have tucked away in my software stash. If I had to wait for the MCT to download and make the drive each time I probably would have hung myself by now. With the ISO I just plug in a USB drive, fire up Rufus, and hit the start button.